Ch. 16

Arysa flinched as three arrows impaled themselves around her.

"For Percilious Sake, Rivet!" She snapped. "You have got to stop doing that!"

Rivet grinned from the shadows of the forest, the bow held loosely in his hands. He set it down against a tree so he could sign to her.

"You're back."

"Indeed I am." She replied sarcastically.

He rolled his eyes. "You're training with her today." He gestured behind him and Regan emerged from the trees, a bow slung across her back.

"It's the Lady Arysa, right?" Regan smirked.

"Just Arysa is fine." She retorted. "Why am I training with you and not Rivet?"

"Rivet has a meeting with the Queen." Regan replied, pronouncing 'queen' with a sarcastic flourish.

"Is that right?" Arysa turned to Rivet. "Anything I need to be concerned about?"

"She'll summon you later." He signed as he gathered up his bow and arrows and started towards camp.

Regan watched his back before turning to Arysa. "When did you get involved in Vella politics, huh?"

"Honestly?" Arysa replied. "I have no idea."

Regan grinned. "Well, time to get to training. We're going to work with the basics first and then we'll get to why Rivet has been shooting arrows at you."

She gestured to the weapons rack behind Arysa and unsheathed her sword. Arysa grabbed two daggers and shed her cloak.

"You should know this by now." Regan taunted. "Anticipate my attacks. I shouldn't be able to touch you."

She lunged and Arysa felt the stirring in her gut. She blocked Regan's blade and sidestepped to avoid her overcut. She stepped back then to the side, blocking each of Regan's attacks. She could feel the moves before Regan made them and inside her chest something stirred, reminding her to stay focused, to feel instead of think, and with each step and each block she felt more and more powerful until it was hard not to strike back.

Regan stepped back suddenly and Arysa let out a sharp breath, watching her movements closely. Regan's grin spread across her sweat-soaked face and she rubbed a hand across her forehead.

"Now you get to attack me." She said. "I know you've been dying for a chance all evening."

Arysa grinned, but still, she hesitated.

"Come on, don't be afraid." Regan teased. "You won't hurt me."

"You sure about that?" Arysa retorted.

She inhaled a deep breath, letting the feelings swirl in her chest. She could predict her opponent's move, but to do so while trying to land her own was something completely different. She sensed out her options before spinning her daggers in her hands and attacking Regan. Regan blocked and struck back, knocking Arysa off balance. She waited for Arysa to attack again, blocked, struck back, but this time Arysa blocked her strike and pushed back. They went back and forth for some time, Arysa losing more often than not, but she'd never faced an opponent quite like Regan. Regan knew every move Arysa made before she made it and her strikes were aimed at every one of Arysa's weak spots. Fighting Regan made Arysa feel like she was just beginning to learn combat all over again. She knew how to fight. Ashlyn made sure she was taught the moment they got their footing at the castle. Ever since she was seven years old, she'd known how to wield a blade. But fighting Regan was something entirely different. Fighting Regan was nothing like fighting the soldiers that helped train her. The way Regan fought felt unnatural. It was unnatural. And soon that'd be how Arysa would fight. Serden would have something coming for him the next time he tried to hurt her.