"What's understood needs no explanation," he replied.

"If that opportunity were to ever be presented to me, it would be a pleasure to slump that sucker," he added, certain that she had not come to visit, just for the sake of trying to check on his well-being.

She was there to convey a message.

Removing a written letter from her pocket, Charmaine confided to him a plan to have someone visit Kirkwood Kenny at the same time that she came to visit him.

Broderick read the letter in silence.

When he was done, his gaze surveyed the area around him again.

Once inmate detainees were summoned to the visitation area, they were released from whatever housing unit that they may have been living in.

A jailer checks off their name from an appointment approval list, then they are allowed to visit with their family.

Seated within one of the twenty pods, used to hold the prisoners in a stationary location, there was ample opportunity for a person to bring harm to another detainee.

The pods were designed in such a way that prisoners had access to each other, with a single guard present in an adjoining corridor.

When guys entered the area, it was difficult for them to see the face of any of the other prisoners as they faced their families.

That blind spot, meant to provide some semblance of privacy, was what would allow Broderick Williams an opportunity to touch Kirkwood Kenny.

"If you pull that off, then it's curtains for that coward," he vowed, his eyes intense with the prospect of being able to avenge his sister's murder.

Charmaine gave him a smile of assurance.

"I'll be to see you tomorrow. Be ready."

When Broderick Williams watched Charmaine walked away, he had no illusions about why she was willing to help him.

It didn't matter, he decided...

Kenny Mathis had it coming.

And Broderick planned to give him the punishment that he felt Kenny Mathis needed, so he did not give a damn about WHY Charmaine was willing to help him do it.

All he could think about was Pluto's voice in his head when they were forced to fight as kids.

"Broderick, help me..."

The following afternoon he met Charmaine in the visitation area, with a homemade ice pick concealed at his waist.

They sat to the right of the corridor, in the last pod by the wall.

The next four pods, along his left, were occupied with other visitors.

No one had a reason to venture that far-right.

"How are you?" Charmaine asked, with genuine concern.

Broderick was so absorbed in his thoughts that he could only give a nod of assurance.

There was no way to express how he was feeling.

The thought of being able to touch Kenny Mathis had been on his mind all night.

He extracted his weapon from his waist and glanced along the line of visitors.

The metallic click of a door being opened sounded.

Broderick took a surreptitious glance at the person entering the visitation area.

The tense expression and sudden attempt to hide behind the partition that separated the detainees let Charmaine know that he had spotted his target.