𝗧𝗔𝗟𝗞𝗦

Start from the beginning

"What happens if somebody's not engaged nor betrothed by the time they're 18?"

"They'd get shamed— and that is if they're not an aromantic."

"But.. that's completely absurd!" exclaimed Harry in horror. "Not getting betrothed or engaged by the time they're 18 would be a completely valid reason to shame somebody? There must be another way."

"There's not. It's been a tradition for centuries. And not only is there a betrothal ball for only 17 year olds, but if they don't find someone there, then they'd look for someone in the normal pureblood balls."

He wrinkled his nose. "We're just teenagers, though."

"Tell that to our ancestors, whom invented this tradition." She rolled her eyes. "It was normal to get married at that age at that time."

"And when would betrothed couples get married?"

"Whenever they're ready," she grabbed a book, still not looking at him.

"Still absurd."

"Naturally," agreed his sister, finally looking at him. "You have to come to the ball, too, you know that, right?"

Harry groaned. "But I'm a halfblood!"

"You're a Potter. It doesn't matter what your blood is. The Potters were a pureblood family when the tradition was invented."

"Fine," he sighed, laying down on a couch. "Who d'you reckon is gay?"

Her eyebrows rose. "You're gay?"

"I'm bi. More into boys, though. I take it you're more into boys, too?"

She nodded. "Yeah."

"I don't think I've ever met a gay pureblood," said Harry thoughtfully. "Do they even exist?"

"You're officially the most dumb person I've ever met," Alexandria rolled her eyes. "Yes, they exist. However, most purebloods do not accept it. They want heirs and shit."

"Blood adoption exists.."

"So they've been told. But they still don't change their opinions. Well, I do know Pansy's parents did. And Daphne's did, as well."

He groaned again. "So, I'm hopeless."

"Probably not," she shook her head. "Just keep your head up."

"What's happening at Hogwarts?" asked Alexandria as she walked into her father's office. "I reckon none of the Slytherins went back for their seventh year?"

Tom nodded. "They're all death eaters."

"Shame," she said sarcastically, sitting down on a chair.

"Snape's headmaster and the Carrow siblings are teachers. Those two really do have a love for torture," he shook his head.

"And what's going on in the outside world?" She questioned further. "Any muggleborns getting caught?"

"They're all running away, so I've made groups of snatchers to find them. It's easy to find mudbloods, though."

"Of course it is," nodded his daughter.

"What's that?" frowned Tom, pointing to her arm.

Alexandria tensed. "What do you mean?"

"Your arm. What's on it?"

"Oh, this?" She finally realized she wasn't wearing a long-sleeved shirt, cursing herself for being so dumb. "It's a tattoo."

Tom raised an eyebrow. "A tattoo?" He repeated, not sure if he heard her correctly.

"Yeah," nodded his daughter.

He frowned, jaw clenched. "When did you get it?"

"A few months ago."

"And you didn't tell me?"

"No."

"Why?"

"You'd get angry," she replied as if it was obvious.

"Shouldn't that have been the reason to not get it?"

"If I'm old enough to get betrothed, then I'm old enough to get a tattoo."

"I suppose you're right," he admitted, anger vanishing immediately. "May I see?"

She nodded, showing him her arm.

"It's.. fine."

"You like it," she noticed and grinned.

Tom rolled his eyes. "Doesn't mean I think it was a good idea."

Alexandria shrugged. "Do you think I can join the snatchers and search for mudbloods, too?"

"I don't know, yet. There's a lot going on at the moment, Lex."

"I know, which is why I'd like to help."

"And I'd like you to stay out of it," said Tom, sighing when her face dropped. "We have to keep you safe, Lex. I can't risk it."

"And I will be safe—"

"Considering how the whole light side is after you, I believe you won't be."

"Fine," she sighed. "I'll just stay in this Manor and be bored all day."

His lips quirked upwards for a second. "Our manor is the biggest manor in the whole pureblood community. I'm sure you'll find something to do here."

"Can I fly?"

"No."

"Take Raven on a ride?"

"No."

She glared at him. "Not so much to do, it seems."

"The inner circle can train you for the war," suggested Tom, going back to his paperworks. "I'm sure that wouldn't be boring."

"But I don't need training," she pointed out.

"True, but it's best to be ready."

"And when is the war, exactly?"

Tom shook his head. "I can't answer that, yet."

"Alright. I'll leave you to your paperworks, then." Alexandria stood up, walking out of the office.