12 | A friend

Dealing with your friend's rambunctiously loud yells while having one of the worst headaches in the world was definitely something Jungkook couldn't get accustomed to

Dealing with your friend's rambunctiously loud yells while having one of the worst headaches in the world was definitely something Jungkook couldn't get accustomed to. Sure, it was his fault for letting Taehyung slip through his fingers again after literally cornering him against the damn wall, but to be berated for it right after being poisoned and heartbroken was another story.

"He's escaped!" Hoseok exclaimed as if the angel himself weren't aware of this fact. The sonority of his tone caused the throb in Jungkook's skull to intensify, a guttural groan making its way past his chapped lips.

"Nothing out of the ordinary," he mumbled, accepting the fox's jarring tantrums with remarkable equanimity despite the agonizing pain his purportedly immortal body was currently going through. Consecutive waves of searing heat were washing over him, pulling out a grunt every now and then.

He should have seen it coming. The desultory mischief that danced in Taehyung's eyes, warning Jungkook to stay alert and not lower his guard for him. Yet the angel perceived it as something innocuous without taking a notice of the hunter's snide intentions.

"How can you stay so calm?" Hoseok's eyes were glinting with underlying panic, his feet carried him around the room and Jungkook couldn't help but wonder where he'd got all that mobility given the four large tails that soared behind him.

'Calm' wasn't the best way to describe it. Perhaps a bit despondent if not rueful. Throughout the lonely centuries, Jungkook had swallowed all the heartache as a deft whet, never allowing the thought of giving up cross his mind. The older you got, the wiser you became. And Jungkook had his patience in abundance. To Hoseok it might be a big deal but to someone like him who'd afflicted more sorrow and despair that normal person could possibly endure was like child's play.

"What do you want me to do, huh?" The angel snapped, fixing his gaze on Hoseok whose ears went flat against his head after witnessing the acrimony with which Jungkook spoke to him. An immediate pang of guilt pierced through his chest, alas the latter was too veiled by his own mushed feelings to comprehend a better way of approaching this conversation. "I failed at keeping Taehyung safe the first time. And I haven't stopped failing since then." With a heavy heart he recalled every each of his previous encounters with Taehyung, all of them ending up in vain because the hunter undoubtedly refused to trust him. "There is no point in panicking over it, especially with the rest of the problems I've got in my hair."

They went quiet after the little tantrum that had just been thrown. Jungkook basked in the silence, using the spared moments of stillness as a helping toll to his arduous headache. Hoseok had long stopped pacing around the spacious room, now simply keeping his eyes fixated on the floor while his fists were being clenched at his sides.

"You'll only end up hurting yourself more," the fox's incredibly serious tone rang through the space, matching with his stoic countenance.

Jungkook craned his neck towards him, eyes remaining ineffable despite how much hurt reflected from them. "Are you suggesting me to...," he creased the material of his plainly white shirt, head suddenly drooping down. "To stop trying at all?"

Hoseok pinched the bridge of his nose in obvious annoyance. "What I'm saying is that you're going to get yourself killed," he stated, the words cutting like knives. In that aspect, the two of them were polar opposites. While Jungkook had always had the long fuse, the unending patience and water off a duck's back demeanor, Hoseok was the one with the incendiary temper, pent-up anger he refused to deal with. "He's going to get you killed."

The angel felt like scoffing upon hearing such a bizarre idea. Never in his years had he worried of losing his life. For God's sake, he was a dark angel! He'd faced death one too many times to be certain it wouldn't get to him one day too.

"C'mon, you're being ridiculous now," he heaved to his feet, struggling to maintain balance with all those black dots appearing in front of his vision, blurring Hoseok's image. The fox met up halfway, steadying him with a hand on his arm that Jungkook batted away. "He's just a human, Hobi. You know it's impossible for a human to kill a dark angel."

"But a white angel can," Hoseok said, the severity of this sentence caused Jungkook to still, as if goaded by the austere truth.

Hesitated in his gait, he slowly inched away from the kitsune, pupils bulging out of their holes in utter fear. For the last five hundred years no one had dared to mention the whites in Jungkook's presence lest they triggered a long-forgotten memory from his dreary past.

"W-what are you talking about?" Faux perplexity painted the horror written on his face. He didn't realize he was shaking until Hoseok tried to take his hand, though Jungkook pulled it right away without giving him the chance of getting any closer. "Are you hearing yourself?"

"Forget it," with a vehement shake of his head Hoseok conceded. "I was just being delusional. Besides, there is no way for the hunters to be associated with one of them." Jungkook was positively certain the fox avoided the option of using their actual name.

Slowly coming down from his panic, the angel shook off his limbs to release the tension in his muscles and lowered his body back on the chair, glad that his knees didn't give up the moment Hoseok brought up the topic about the whites.

"It's fine," a lump was lodged in his throat, stuck there to clog his airways, and suffocate him. Jungkook tried to speak, though it came as a shallow whisper in the vast nothingness. "I guess it's me who hasn't got over it yet."

Curling his lips into a sad smile, Hoseok knelt before him and placed a reassuring hand on his thigh. "I understand," he whispered, rubbing Jungkook's thigh up to the knee in the gentlest manner ever. "But please, stop being so reckless. I know how much you want to be with Taehyung but coming back all bruised and hurt whenever you two stumble upon each other is just too risky."

The angel nodded, releasing a gust of air. He had to agree that none of the past encounters with Taehyung had ended on the good side. And trusting blindly his unrequited love for the human was not going to get him anywhere. If he wanted to make a progress, he had to put his feelings aside for a while and think of a better approach.

"Are you still willing to help me?" Jungkook asked in a weak voice, attempting to smile at the fox.

No words needed to be exchanged, a simple beam was enough for the angel to know that Hoseok was going to stay by his side. 

♧hi hi! Sorry for the long dely of updates! However, I will try to be more active. This chap is a bit shorter than usual because it was needless of me to work more on it. I hope you enjoyed it!♧