01

Heidi sat cross-legged on the floor as she sketched her boyfriend.

Mitch shifted and asked, "Is it almost done, Heidz?"

"Don't move," she ordered. "But yes, I'm almost done."

"How 'bout you finish later, huh?" He stood and made his way towards her.

Mitch took her sketchbook and set it to the ground, then pulled her up.

Heidi smiled and took his hands, swaying them back and forth.

"What are you doing?" Mitch wondered.

"Dancing," she replied.

"Without music?"

She paused and met Mitch's eyes with a soft gaze. "Do we really need music?"

"It certainly wouldn't hurt."

"Being here with you is music enough."

He laughed. "I love how cheesy you are."

"Well one of us has to be. You're so serious all the time!"

"I am not," he argued picking her up.

Heidi let out a small squeal. "Put me down!"

"Put you down? Are you sure?"

He dropped her on her back on the bed and kissed her before moving so he laid next to her.

Mitch's hand subtly went to his left pocket, feeling the outline of a velvet box. He'd wanted to propose for weeks, but the time never felt right. Until now.

He stood and took Heidi's hand, leading her to the living room.

"Why are we here?" Heidi asked.

"So we can see the skyline."

"We can see the skyline any time."

"Trust me, okay?"

"I do trust you, Mitch. Always."

He walked to the opposite end of the living room, turned on the video camera he'd set up earlier, walked back to his girlfriend and let out a breath. "When we first met each other, I didn't realize how much you would come to mean to me. We've grown together, far more than we ever thought we would. I've enjoyed getting to know and love you. Each and every day I've loved you just a little more, and I know I'll continue to fall in love with you each and every day. Heidi King, would you do me the greatest honor in becoming my wife?"

Mitch knelt on one knee and held up the ring.

Heidi brought a hand to her mouth with a small gasp and nodded. "Yes!"

He smiled widely as he stood and placed the ring on her left hand. He kissed her as they both ran their hands through each other's hair.

She studied the ring and smiled. "Oh, it's beautiful, Mitch."

"It's my mom's ring."

"Your mom has wonderful taste."

A knock sounded on the door and Heidi asked, "Are you expecting anyone?"

Mitch shook his head. "No. Stay behind me, okay?"

Heidi nodded, stepping back.

He slowly opened the door and it was kicked in.

Several men with guns entered.

"Heidi, run!" Mitch cried.

Heidi tried to run, but one of the men grabbed her and she tried fighting him, but the man's grip tightened.

"Mitch!" she screamed.

"Leave her alone!"

Another man punched Mitch in the jaw, knocking him out.

As Heidi was dragged away, she screamed for her fiancé and fought the men as they left the room.

Several hours later, Mitch woke and looked around desperately. "Heidi?! Heidi!"

A dark expression slowly crossed his face. "I swear to you, Heidi, I'm gonna to whatever it takes to find you."