Chapter 28: Wicked Dawn/Part 2

Start from the beginning

"Wait!" Queenie protested. "Where are you going?"

"They need my help," Evie answered sharply. " I can match my mother's magic. I'm the only one who can stop her. Queenie, stay here and watch the others. I'm counting on you." With that, she drew her sword and leaped over the foliage and into the clearing.

"But--" Queenie began. It was no use. Evie was already gone. The redhead sighed and sat down against a tree. "Hey, voodoo girl. Do you think you could do me?"

"Sure!" Celia skipped over and fanned out the deck of cards before the Princess of Heart's face. The two girls laughed quietly and the fight faded into the background.

Meanwhile...

"Ben! Duck!" Mal called out the warning as Evil Queen aimed to separate his head from his shoulders. The king dodged quickly and Evie jumped in to match the blow.

"Mal, go help Doug!" Evie snapped as she shoved back, hard, pushing Evil Queen away from her and bracing herself for another blow. On her right, Jay twirled his sword, preparing to strike. Ben stood, breathless, behind Evie. It was four to one, but the Evil Queen was still fighting admirably, though she was obviously beginning to weaken.

"But Carlos--"

"Carlos can't take on Morgana by himself!" Evie snapped furiously as she swung her blade up to parry another attack. "I've got this! Seriously, go!"

Mal didn't argue. Dropping her stance, she turned and took off running toward the flames. Evie, then, was left to face her mother, with Jay and Ben flanking her.

"Hello, my little evilette," Evil Queen whispered, ignoring the boys as they began to close in.

"Don't call me that!" Evie spat. "I am nothing like you! You threaten Auradon, kidnap my boyfriend, nearly kill me and all of my friends! Mother! What has happened to you? Killing...destroying things...this isn't who you are!"

"You know nothing about what I went through!" Evil Queen spat, deflecting a blow from Ben and knocking back Jay. " I used to be fairest in the land! I was loved! I was respected! And then that, that girl, a mere child, took it all away from me!"

"So what?" Evie screamed. "All this is what? Revenge? Mother! It was thirty-five years ago! Please! Don't do this! Don't let Morgana kill Doug! I know you aren't evil inside. This isn't you and you have a chance to be a real hero...to make people love you again!" Her eyes drifted away and around her mother toward Mal and Carlos who were struggling to find a way past the fire. Every time they neared, it seemed to come alive, lashing out and knocking them back away. Meanwhile, Morgana continued her spell, not seeming to realize that a battle was raging around her. Her mind was on the curse and nothing more.

"Mother!" Evie pleaded as her gaze fell on Doug who was inching closer to death by the moment. She couldn't even tell if he was breathing anymore. "Think about this! If you help us, you can have everything back that was taken from you! I'll talk to Ben! He'll help you! But please, please, don't let Doug die!"

"Evie?" Jay questioned, shooting her a nervous glance as he continued to hold his sword out threateningly. "What should we do?"

She didn't look at him.

"Jay, keep your sword ready," Ben warned. Then, he leaned over Evie's shoulder. "Hey," he whispered in her ear. " I know this is your mother and this is an extremely difficult situation, but, we can't trust her not to backstab us as soon as she's free. "

Quite literally, Evie couldn't help but think. But she knew Ben was right. Doug's life was quite literally hanging in the balance, and, with a glance at Morgana (whose body was shining radiantly), it was pretty clear that his time was almost up. "All right," she sighed when Evil Queen gave no answer. "You guys take her back to Queenie and the others. I'll try to find a way through those flames." She felt Evil Queen's gaze on her but it no longer mattered. Her mother had had her chance. She hadn't taken it. Evie couldn't wait around any longer.