River squeezed her closer, "And that's exactly what we gone do."

River stood in the field clutching Annie and Essie in either hand watching the stagecoach as it rolled up the dirt road

River stood in the field clutching Annie and Essie in either hand watching the stagecoach as it rolled up the dirt road. Ellie stood behind him with her arms defiantly folded.

"I don't know why you invited your momma to live with us River." She huffed.

Maskwa stood at Ellie's side to lend her his strength. He knew she was nervous about meeting River's mother. After all situations like theirs didn't happen every day.

"Try to have an open mind, Mistanask. If she agreed to come knowing what she knows then she has already accepted you." He tried to reassure her.

"humpf" Ellie responded with a huff.

"It'll be ok, Mama." Essie turned around, "She's like daddy. Nana told me so."

This should have quieted Ellie's fears but they would not give way to reason. The carriage approached over an ornamental bridge and passed through stone walls to pull to a stop in front of their home.

River somehow managed to finish the house in record time. Ellie found its charm lay in the immediately apparent-beautiful wood floors and grand fireplace. Once a person stepped through the doors they were welcomed by the large living room that opened to an equally large dining area and despite its vastness had a cozy feel.

Her favorite was the sunroom, she would sit there most mornings bathed in light as she enjoyed her coffee. The other place she found herself most often was the kitchen at one end of the house. River made sure she had every modern appliance since she refused any added help in the upkeep of the home.

She wanted to tell him they had no space for his mother but in truth, the home boasted five roomy bedrooms, surrounded by a wraparound balcony. She was tempted to place her in the one she found most disagreeable so Marie would be encouraged to uninvite herself and go back to North Carolina.

Ellie's attention returned to the carriage when an elegantly dressed woman with pale blonde hair and bright green eyes stepped out. 

After assisting Marie from the carriage, Maskwa stepped gingerly around her to fetch the luggage. Meanwhile, Marie let her eyes wander over them and the house taking in everything with the faintest smile.

"Mama," River stepped forward placing a kiss on her cheek.

"Oh, my darlin' boy. So glad to see you looking so healthy and strong." Her hand cupped his shoulders as she looked him over once more. "The letter I received sent me into a panic. I was shocked to hear about your ordeal. It's taken you a lot to get this far River. The last few months ain't been good to you I can see that, but, you're on the mend."

Her eyes fell to the twin girls at his side. "Oh, my word, who are these angels I see before my eyes?"

"I'm Annie," The child stepped forward.

"And I'm Essie." She gave a shy look as she too stepped up.

"My name is Marie Collins but you may call me grandma. Now come here and give your ole grandma some suga!" She smiled throwing her hands open to embrace the children.

When their greeting was concluded, Marie turned to Ellie. "Oh my," she said with a studious gaze. "Ain't you just a sight. Beautiful as the day is long. You must be what all the fuss was about."

Ellie gave a tight-lipped smile. "Yes, ma'am." She eyed Marie directly and straightened her posture.

"It's so very good to meet you, Ellie." Her arms closed around Ellie's shoulders taking her by surprise and soft lips pressed to her cheek.

"I do hope you'll allow me to join this family. River is all I got left." River slipped his hand into his mother's offering her a reassuring smile.

"No ma'am-" Ellie started but Marie interrupted.

"You mustn't call me ma'am. Please call me Marie or Mama." She gave a hesitant smile.

Ellie felt her heart squeeze in her chest. She knew Marie would never replace her mother but just to have someone filling those shoes again meant the world to her.

"Of course, Mama." She reached forward taking Marie's free hand. "River ain't all you got. You have me and the girls."

Marie lived with River and his family until old age took her in 1915. River and Ellie lived together forty-six years in unmarried bliss till consumption took River in 1935 at the age of 69. Unable to cope with life without him, Ellie succumbed to her grief just one year after his passing.

Essie and Annie returned the land to the Cree Nation. Both marrying men of Cree origin and becoming the seers that Maswka sought on his spiritual journey. He died some years after seeing them settled in their new lives. 

Essie continued not only to see her grandmother but her mother who guided her through her life. A gift she passed on to her twin girls with Annie endowing her gift to female descendants as well.