Chapter 24: The Faerie's Apprentice

Start from the beginning

"Whoa, dude!" Carlos gasped. "This place is incredible!"

"It's not bad," Doug agreed, strolling back over to them. "Um...Carlos? Mal said you wanted to use the library, right?"

Carlos nodded.

"All right. Then let's head that way first. This way!" He started up the steps, turning left at the fork and disappearing around the bend a moment later. When none of the others followed, he stuck his head back around the corner. "Uh...'this way' means follow me, guys."

"Oh, oh, right."

Mal took the lead and hurried up the stairs after him. As she went, she noticed all the pictures lining the walls. She spotted a group photo. Wow, there really are a million of them! She chuckled. If she thought Family Day at Auradon Prep had been bad, she couldn't imagine how Doug must have felt at family reunions.

Evie noticed what she was looking at and paused for a glance. "Doug, is that you?" She pointed him out. The tallest, not to mention nerdiest, boy with his pastel green shirt and semi-ugly tie, desperately trying to grab his glasses while being tackled by a rowdy-looking dark-haired teen.

"Yeah," Doug sighed, descending to the stairs, smirking awkwardly. "I had asked that picture be burned. Obviously, my dad liked it. Can't imagine why." He quickly took it down and stuck it under his arm. "Come on, the library is this way."

"Mal," Evie whispered, catching the purplette's arm. "It's the middle of the night. Can't we get some sleep and pick this up in the morning?"

Doug paused. "There are several spare bedrooms," he offered. "You're welcome to stay there." He glanced back at them for an answer.

Mal hesitated. There was so much work to be done. They needed to start looking right away. But, taking one glance at the others' exhausted expressions, she decided they needed the break. And it was only a few hours until sunrise. Surely they had time for a little nap, right? "All right," she sighed. "Let's rest for a few hours and then we'll start again in daylight. Sound good to everyone?"

"Yes," Carlos and Evie said together.

"Okay, Doug, lead the way."

"Right," the dwarf started off again with a little skip in his step. "This way." He turned down a side hallway. "There are guest rooms down that way. I'll let you sort out who's is who's. My room is just down the hall. If you need anything, just let me know."

"Okay, thanks," Evie called after him as he waved and continued on to his room. Then, she turned to Mal with a grin. "Mal, this place is amazing! I had no idea Doug's family was so rich."

"Well, they mine jewels for a living. What exactly were you expecting?" Carlos laughed, slinging an arm around the girls' shoulders. "Now, I don't know about you ladies, but, I'm bushed. I'll see you in the morning." He started down the hall and disappeared in a few moments, leaving Mal and Evie alone.

"Here's your spellbook," Evie muttered, handing the book over. "Maybe there's something useful in there that can help us. I know you're eager to start searching for answers. I'll see you later." She turned and began down the hall after Carlos.

Mal sighed and ran a hand over the leather cover. So much had happened in the past day. She was still trying to process it all. What had started out as a simple disappearing act had grown into something so much more. And yet, there had still been no sign of Maleficent. Which made Mal wonder, with all the villains on the loose, she wondered how long it would be before the evil faerie showed up.

No use worrying about it now. Jay and Ben will be back with the kids soon, and then we'll be safe, and we can start working on how to take down Morgana and the others.