6. Bitter

Nate's apartment, February 18th, 9:47 pm.

"HERE'S THE THING: you're in love with a version of a person that you've kept reminiscing in your head, who Nate used  to be, that you are trying to but cannot fix or bring back. The only person you can save is yourself, Delilah. I love you, this has gone on way too long. Enough is enough. I know you're spending the night as his, but I'm only two blocks away, say the word and I'll come get you. Be careful, Delilah, you and I know that Nate has been a little too temperamental lately. I- I don't know what to say because I know he can easily overpower you, I- just be careful please. Love you, Flores"

Delilah sat on the bathroom floor of Nate's apartment with her back against the wall. She huffed and rolled her eyes as she listened to Nova's voicemail, by the end of it a little smile graced her features. She couldn't help but adore the girl. 

Nova was actually the girlfriend of one of Nate's friends, Theo. The two girls had met at one of the many parties Theo hosted . Delilah and Nova instantly clicked, and later on quickly became inseparable. Quite an odd pair that they are. The two gals clashed in every way. 

Nova was fiery red hair, black leather and heavy eyeliner followed by a loud and sometimes obnoxious voice. Meanwhile, Delilah was dark chocolate hair that looked like caramel in the sunlight, floral prints and light makeup, everything with a side of soft spoken words and a corazón de pollito in the mix. Let's also not forget her sweet nature, which sometimes Delilah thought it was the bane of her existence. 

Nova was the only person that knew about the abuse. It's not as if Delilah wanted her to know in the first place. It all happened in one of Theo's parties in early January. Nova not only was witty to no end, but she was also really observant. Nova saw how Delilah would involuntarily flinch whenever Nate would make a harsh move when he was beside her. But the redhead brushed it off with the excuse that maybe Delilah was just naturally jumpy. It wouldn't really surprise her considering that the brunette was kind of shy and seemed like a walking anxiety attack.

But for unlucky Delilah someone spilt a drink on her white floral dress, staining it instantly. Nova, who was at her side said moment quickly offered her pouty brunette friend some spare clothes she had, considering that they were in Theo's house. 

After lending Delilah a little black dress, Nova gave her some privacy to change out of her clothes. But then, Nova being Nova forgot her drink inside the bedroom so she quickly went back to retrieve it. She didn't really see the harm of just barging in, so she did just that, she also thought that Delilah would already dress considering that it has been a minute since she had left her to change. So when Nova entered the room, she sure as hell didn't expect to see Delilah with only the dress from the waist down. But what she also didn't expect to see was two big nasty bruises imprinting her friend's body, one by her ribs and the other one on her left side of her hip. 

Then, everything made sense, Nova put the pieces together and voiced out her thoughts. Delilah easily resembled a deer in headlights, with no other excuse to come up with, she simply nodded with tears in her eyes. Nova was quick to embrace the teary girl. The redhead told Delilah to leave Nate, but after fifteen minutes of the sweet girl blatantly refusing Nova gave up, but not only after making Delilah swear that she would at least let Nova help her.

"Delilah, are you okay, love?" Nate's voice was heard from the other side of the door. "You've been there for quite some time. Do you need anything of the sorts?"

Delilah's heart swelled at the sound of Nate's concerned voice and quickly got out of the bathroom not wanting to keep her lover waiting. "Yeah, I was just listening to a voicemail Nova left me"

"Oh, how is she?"

"Fine, crazy as always" Delilah responded with a little chuckle.

"I'm glad. Hey, is it okay if we put some nuts in the brownies? We used the last of the chocolate chips to make the batter."