2. Sweet

NATE AND DELILAH STARTED DATING 3 YEARS AGO. The two had been friends a year prior, they used to spend every living moment together. It was clear to everyone except them, how madly in love they were with each other. It was at Delilah's 18th birthday party, when Nate finally got the courage to make a move so he asked her to go outside with him. 

"Okay Delilah, close your eyes" he said "Okay" she replied hesitantly. It wasn't that the young girl didn't trust Nate, she was just naturally hesitant about everything. She grew up in a stressful environment, she better than anyone knew how some things weren't forever. Relationships specifically. She just can't handle change.

It's not that Delilah didn't believe in love, far from it, she would be considered a hopeless romantic. Growing up not seeing a happy couple as her parents didn't affect in the sense that she didn't believe in love, quite the opposite actually, it gave her hope. 

Because of the lack of example of what should be a relationship, she started to dream about the kind of magical love she used to read in romance novels. And her only option was to yearn for the kind of love that only existed in books, as well as to convince herself that one day she'll experience the whole prince charming extravaganza.

Delilah still doesn't know how far they've walked away from the party, she only knew that the music could still be heard, very faintly, but that was enough to reassure herself that she wasn't in a ditch.

 "Can I open them?"

 "No" Nate chuckled, it was obvious that he being the smug person that he is, was enjoying every second of it.

 "Please Nate, I'm dying to know. The curiosity is eating me alive" Delilah said exaggerating every word just out of spite.

"I said wait, birthday girl" he replied chuckling. 

"Nate! you're like my eyes you idiot" she screamed, falling face first into the grass, well,  that's what at least she hoped was what she fell into. When she felt the texture of the grass beneath her,  she came to the conclusion that they were at the park across the street.

 "Nate where are we?" 

"Hold on..." she heard him say a little far away from where she actually was, now standing .  She being as her usual anxious self started fidgeting in her place, she was getting desperate. "Nate.." she groaned, already kind of over everything.  

"Open them" and the young girl didn't have to be told twice, she gasped.

In front of her was Nate surrounded by fairy lights that were hung up from the trees creating a mesmerizing view with rose petals covering every single inch of the floor. Nate was standing, holding  a single flower in his hand. Her favorite flower, a dark red rose. 

"Delilah, do you remember how we first met?" 

"You were an asshole" she answered bluntly.

"That I was, I didn't even know your name at the time" he said kind of embarrassed. 

"But I-"

"Wait, is that why you kept calling me dude all the time?" she asked to cut him off. She remembers how pissed she used to be because of that. She at first thought of Nate as an incompetent brainless jock. A jerk, but a handsome jerk nevertheless.

"Yes... But after I asked around I learned that your name was Delilah, I really thought it suited you, you know?
Because at first sight you look so delicate. It was like I wanted to hold on to you and protect you no matter what. But then I got to know you and let me tell you that I've never met a person who made me want to kiss her  just shut her the fuck up. Has anyone ever told you how stubborn, frustrating and feisty you can be at times?"

 "But it's because your lazy self couldn't be bothered to do anything! You just kept staring at me while I did everything" she retorted while glaring at him playfully. 

"I know and I'm sorry, but I just couldn't get over how truly beautiful you are. Then, once the stress of the project was over we became friends and then best friends. Being able to have your partner be also your best friend is one the things I used to wish for, but now I have her standing as beautiful as ever right in front of me" he said while walking up to her.

Her breath hitched as he oh so delicately held her face in his big hands. Her eyes started to well up in tears, happy tears. As her mother would say "it was her corazón de pollito acting up".

"You idiot I'm going to mess up my makeup" she said while sobbing softly, he just chuckled.

"Delilah, please be my girlfriend?" soft eyes and sweet words strucking her right to her already passionate heart. 

"Yes" she replied, falling into the double-edged words, tainted with false promises.