"I haven't put it up yet," She bit her lip, guilty for forgetting about keeping up the facade. 

Befriend Tyler, interview Tyler, dig up dirt on Tyler. 

"It's fine, I'm sure you'll get around to it. Hope I wasn't too boring."

She simply shrugged, cursing at herself mentally. It never occurred to her that he might check up on the so called article she was supposed to write. 

Lola was no FBI and sitting across from her childhood crush was very distracting. She couldn't remember the last time she saw him smile so endearingly and since when did he have a dimple on his left cheek. 

Since when did his Adam's apple stand out so much when he swallowed? She watched Tyler lick his lips, lips she almost kissed at the party as he leaned against his seat, watching her, gaze knowing. 

She wondered if he knew that she had liked him since forever. He was in his zone around her, completely at ease, confident. She listened intently as he talked about his day at school and all the errands he had to run. 

It was easy to get lost in his enigmatic words and engaging smile, but ever so often Julian's deep voice would echo in her head, like an unwelcome alarm bell. 

I don't trust the guy.

Lola knew she had to squeeze in the question somehow but she didn't want to seem too suspicious and asking him about Eva when he was talking about a charity run just didn't do. 

Their ice cream came and Lola dug into hers, not noticing the sudden silence as Tyler stared at her. 

"So tell me about yourself, Lola. What do you do to occupy your time? What are your hobbies? I want to know everything about you," He places his cheek in his palm and angles his head, his eyes boring into hers. 

She gulped down the ball of ice cream that had lodged in her throat, the sweetness suddenly overpowering. "Me?" 

She chuckled nervously, unused to his undying attention. "Not much. I love kdramas and Kpop. I like to read horror. Hate exercise but would probably have to pick it up some day." 

Lola was floundering, spouting non sense but good non sense. Maybe she could worm a question in the same way. 

"What about you? Besides volunteering and catering to teacher's and students needs. What do you do to unwind?" 

A picture of Tyler with glazed eyes, most probably drunk or high, with a hand clasped around Eva's swam behind her eyes. 

"Oh, nothing. I like to go for a run to destress in the evenings and I like zombie movies. You should come over one day. We can watch Train to Busan, it's Korean," He said and Lola resisted the urge to tell him that she'd already watched it because Hanna was obsessed with Gong Yoo. 

"That sounds good." Maybe she would be able to find something in his house. If it ever came to that. Her skin tingled with anticipation, her friends would be so proud with her progress. 

"How are Nalini and Hanna? They are your best friends right?" He added the second sentence after a pause, the wheels turning behind his eyes. 

"They're doing good. And yes, we have been inseparable since pre-school," She smiled proudly after mentioning her friends and tried to squeeze in a similar question but he beat her to it. 

"I've seen you around with Damien and Tyronne too. Are you close to those guys?" 

Lola's hand tightened around the smooth metal handle of her spoon and she looked at her ice cream that had begun to melt at the sides. 

"We're not really friends. More like acquaintances, we help them with school once in a while. Mostly Nalini." Phew, that was close and slick. She mentally high fived herself for that. 

"What about you? I've never really seen you around a fixed group of friends," Lola pointed out quickly before he could steal the conversation again. 

"I'm fluid like that. Like water," Tyler drawled, his eyes twinkling in delight. If she didn't know any better she would think he was flirting, but then there was that deep underlying tone she couldn't seem to shake. It felt more like a threat. "So you've been noticing me?" 

Lola's cheeks flushed, she was certain they had turned scarlet like the dark red cherry toppings on the counter. She felt her body heat up under his scrutiny. 

It wasn't the type of self consciousness she felt with Julian. With him, there was tension definitely and maybe some attraction, but she felt safe. She knew things about Julian, his weaknesses, his motives. 

With Tyler, she really couldn't say. If he was fluid, she was threading lightly by the edge, any mis step and she might drown. 

"I mean I notice everyone. And you knew who I've been hanging out with as well." She said defensively.

"Touche," He murmured, finishing his last scoop. "Come on, I'll walk you back."

He paid the bill and they walked outside, the cool evening breeze slowly embracing the chill of night. 

"Which way?" Tyler asked as he put his hands in his pockets. 

"You don't have to. It's not far," She reiterated.  

"Nonsense. There's no way I'm letting you walk back alone." 

His persistence lead them down the street, turning a corner into the suburb where she lived. The leaves rustled around them and Lola could feel the heat from Tyler's proximity. It made her move away slightly. 

She raked her brain trying her darnedest to bring up Eva but it proved to be harder than she thought. After a while she decided to bring up Nalini and Eva's infamous feud. 

She breathed a sigh of relief when Tyler responded with fervour, his opinions about their rivalry the same as hers, that it was pointless and childish.

"Do you know Eva personally? I've always wondered what she's like with her friends. When she isn't bull dozing her way through school," Lola murmured, trying her best to sound absent minded.

"Hardly know the girl. Only that she's extremely ambitious and her father donates to almost every charity drive we organise." 

Lola stared up at Tyler, the evening sun casted shadows across his face. She could not read his expression as he lied to her like it was nothing. 

But that was her hand he was holding in the photo. She knew it. 

"This year has been crazy. With the exam issues and the murders," She said softly and she noticed he clenched his jaw for just a moment. 

"Yeah, and the murderer is still on the loose," He turned to her, his brown eyes foreboding, telling her a story she would never know. 

She looked away, wanting to prod further about Fiona but then she realised they had reached her house. "This is me." 

He stared at her house for a long moment, his face curious, searching. "Is that your room?" He pointed up at the window next to hers which belonged to her parents. 

"Yeah," Lola didn't know why she lied as she smiled up at him. After all, he had lied as well. "Thanks for walking me back. I'll see you around?" 

"Definitely." He shifted on his feet, smiling. 

She felt his eyes on her back as she made her way to the door. She waved at him before shutting it and then she peeked out the peephole. Tyler was staring at her parents window and then he eventually turned around and walked away. 

Heyyy, what do you guys think of Tyler?? Im curious :) :)