Chapter 15: The Worst

Start from the beginning

"Oh." Was all that came out as sadness washed over me. This broom was a gift Mum had given me, and we had so many memories with it. I slid my hand over the broom's handle, as I fought back tears. "Ow!" I retreated my hand as I got a splinter in it.

"Careful, let me take it out." Fred offered. He took my hand gently in his, and carefully pulled out the splinter. "I think you'll need a new broom, this one is too sharp to ride on." Fred said sympathetically.

"Yeah, I guess." I sighed. I closed my eyes, and rested my heavy head.

Ten minutes later, Madam Pomfrey ushered everyone out.

"Take care love, we'll come visit soon." said Fred, as he left with Hermione, Ron and the rest of the Quidditch team.

Silence once again. The horrifying moments from today came flooding back to me. The coldness, the Dementors and those voices.

The voice of the woman, and the bone-chilling laugh of the man.

Who were they? Why did the woman's voice sound so familiar?

I glanced over at Harry, who was looking dazed as well.

"Harry?" At the mention of his name, his gaze shifted towards me.

"Yeah?"

"I have a question." I said rather nervously. "Do you hear voices when the Dementors get too close to you?" He paled slightly at those words.

"Yeah. I can hear a woman screaming my name, and a man, The woman is my Mum, while the man is Voldemort. It's when he tried to kill me."

"I'm sorry." I said softly. "I also hear voices. I can hear a woman and a man, but I'm not sure who they are."

"You know, how come only we are affected like this? Why isn't anyone else? Are we too weak?" Harry wondered.

"I really don't know." I murmured.

***

"Madam Pomfrey, can I go back today?"

"Hmm... You'll have to stay until the afternoon. I'll check on you again, and if you are completely well then, I'll dismiss you.

At least I can get out of here. I thought.

It was Sunday, a day after the horrible ordeal that took place during the Quidditch match. Harry and I had received visitors.

Ginny Weasley, while blushing, gave Harry a "get well" card which she had made herself, and it sang shrilly unless shut under a bowl of fruit.

The Gryffindor team had visited once again, accompanied by Wood this time, who told Harry and I that we weren't at fault of losing the match, in a dead voice.

The twins, occasionally with Lee tagging along, kept me company. Fred would crack jokes, just to get a smile on my face. George brought me snacks, nicked from the Hogwarts kitchens of course. Although the two brothers kept me entertained, I wasn't happy being stuck in the Hospital Wing.

Madam Pomfrey came around at one in the afternoon, and allowed me to leave considering I was healthy now.

***

After having a joyous lunch, I went off to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. Upon reaching the door to the classroom, I inhaled deeply before stepping in, opening my eyes slowly. Luckily, my favourite Professor had returned. He looked up from his desk and smiled warmly.

"Good Afternoon Rubina." Although he was cheerful, he looked pale as ever, with dark circles beneath his eyes. Surprisingly, he was the one who had greeted me, considering the fact he was doing his utmost to avoid me for the past while.