22 | The Waitress

Start from the beginning

Both Nandini and Payal came out laughing at the horrid face Manik had made. “You both are laughing? Alya and Ammu are on my head with their utility list”. Manik's state was pitiable and the two boys, Aryaman and Dhruv, would agree that their partners can be a headache sometimes.

“Aww my poor baby”, Nandini gave his more accessible right left cheek a kiss and watched how his facial expressions transformed. “Let me cross check just few more points with Payal and then we can go shop everything needed and I'll spend some time with my boyfriend too, okay?”, Manik would accept this anyday.

So Nandini began again, but in an embrace of none but her man, who just wanted to have his moments of being a child. If someone looks at him, they won't be able to guess that there is a kid inside him, under the layers of suits and grave eyes.

A kid who craves nothing but love and just love

A kid who craves nothing but love and just love. This kid came out only in front of those who understood the value of it. Who knew how hard it is to still keep that child alive in you.

It took twenty more minutes, which without Manik would have taken ten but she wasn't complaining.

“Done! Let's go now”, Nandini woke Manik up from his slumber. “Done?”, Nandini gave him a nod. “You go out and I'll come with my coat”.

Manik was charged up in an instant and Payal, who witnessed all this couldn't hold back her chuckle, but Manik didn't mind. It was out of good.

“Nandini ma'am”, Nandini stopped right before the door, “Yes Payal”. What she did next, Nandini couldn't have imagined.

Payal gave Nandini a hug. A quick yet tight hug. “I feel so happy for you and Manik sir. He is so lucky to have you. May God give you a lifetime of togetherness”.

The sweetness and genuineness with which Payal prayed for her rendered Nandini speechless. She was knew Payal was the best assistant she has had and she was respected by her deeply but to this extent, this was a surprise. “I am lucky too Payal, in more than one ways”, she pressed her hand upon her shoulder before moving out, “and having a great assistant is also one of them”.

“What. The.  Hell", this was Payal's first reaction. She had hugged Nandini out of impluse and and had almost believed that she has lost her job. But even in her wildest nightmares she wouldn't have thought she'll get a compliment like this from Nandini. This wasn't the Nandini she had been working for but was she glad to have this Nandini? Oh hell ya!

~•~

The rest of the day saw Manik and Nandini walking and running across the Trafalgar square, visiting shops, meeting fans and ticking the items off Alya and Ammu's list. And if it wasn't from the list then it was Nandini shopping for Nivaan.

Nandini had a special bond with Nivaan which was incomprehensible, beyond words. For her, Nivaan was the first baby she has ever been attached to, the first baby she has held in arms, lulled to sleep and watched him snooze, the first baby she has named. And even Nivaan enjoyed her presence. He laughed more in her arms, smiled more and beamed more.