Chapter 4: Family Bond (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"She seemed tired, so I let her sleep in." Jungwoo said before turning back to Haesoo. "She told him about Minsun."

"Oh." Haesoo said, understanding the situation. "I guess she'll need some time I guess."

"How do you feel?" Jaehyun asked, sitting up. He reached over, grabbing one of the pastries and placing it on Jungwoo's plate. "You're not stuffing yourself with food, that's not a good sign."

"I'm fine, I figured that everyone would find out eventually." Jungwoo reassured them. "It just came sooner than I expected."

"Well there's nothing you can do now." Haesoo said, giving him a small smile. "Maybe you can spend some time with your daughter now. You've always wanted to."

"Minsun doesn't really feel like my daughter." Jungwoo told them. "She still feels like Grace's niece. Mark's daughter that's too similar to her aunt."

"It'll take time." Jaehyun said, giving Jungwoo's shoulder a pat. "But if you want something to take your mind off, we have something to tell you."

"Me?" Jungwoo looked around to see if there was someone around him, making the couple laugh.

"Yes you." Haesoo giggled, leaning forward. "Do you like the colour red?"

"Red?" Jungwoo narrowed his eyes as Jaehyun gave him a big smirk.

"Who else would I have as my best man?"

...

Jisun gripped her pen tightly in her hand, still thinking about what Mark had told her.

I should have known when Minsun was born prematurely, Jisun thought to herself. Her resemblance to Grace was uncanny, it was so obvious, yet I ignored all the signals.

She had spent most of the night comforting her husband, who was broken in ways she never expected him to be. She knew that Mark always had a soft spot for Minsun, which was more than the fact that Minsun was so similar to his sister.

Mark had personally taught Minsun all her powers, the girl harnessing darkness like him. When she first received her vare, he had spent the next day teaching her the basics, putting aside his king duties for his daughter.

At least who we thought was our daughter.

Even though Jisun was definitely closer to Jihyung, making sure that he could control his powers properly, she still loved Minsun. A part of Jisun had questioned it but the fact that it was real now just made the wound deeper.

The door to her study opened and she was surprised when Minsun walked in. "Eomma, are you busy?"

I'm not your eomma, Jisun wanted to say but held it in, shaking her head. "No, come in."

Minsun quickly entered, closing the door behind her. "Did Dad tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"That I'm... not yours." Jisun was speechless, thinking deeply about how she should respond.

"Minsun, come here." Jisun said, opening her arms as she stood up but Minsun shook her head, holding up a hand between them.

"I'm fine, I don't need a hug or anything. I just need... advice."

"What type of advice?" Jisun asked, deciding to keep her distance. A part of her was honoured that Minsun trusted her enough to talk to her about her issues but thinking about this only made Jisun wonder how long that would last.

"What happens now?" Minsun asked, her voice filled with uncertainty. "I know Grace and Jungwoo are staying here but who takes care of me now?"

Jisun took a deep breath, swallowing the urge to say the first thoughts in her mind. She needed to think rationally, tell Minsun what was best for her, not what she wanted.

"It's up to you." Jisun told her. "I'm pretty sure whichever pair of parents you want to be with, the others will be supportive."

"Will you and dad will be alright if I leave the family?" Minsun asked, taking Jisun aback.

"Well when you word it like that." Jisun mumbled before looking into Minsun's eyes, forcing a small smile. "Silly, either way, you won't be leaving the family. Mark and Grace are still siblings, don't forget that. Plus, you grew up with us, we won't forget you that easily."

"Oh. Right." Minsun said, beginning to fidget with her skirt. "That's good, I guess."

Jisun walked over, gently fixing Minsun's hair as she stood there. "You don't need to make your decision right away. You can take your time, take as long as you want. No one is rushing you."

"Thanks, eomma." Minsun said before covering her mouth, realizing the word that had come out. "I'm sorry, it's a habit."

Jisun tried not to show how much it hurt, wanting to stay strong as she reached out, giving Minsun's hand a squeeze.

"I might not be your true mother, Minsun, but I'll always care for you like I was."

———————————————————————————So the boyz

So the boyz......

Sunwoo has my heart good bye 👋