Chapter 14: First Quidditch Match

Start from the beginning

Ten minutes later, Harry burst into the class, bearing the same surprise on his face, we all had earlier, and asking the same questions.

"As I was saying before Potter interrupted. Professor Lupin has not left any record of the topics you have covered so far-" Hermone cut him off.

"Please, sir, we've done Boggarts, Red Caps, Kappas and Grindylow, and we're just about to start-"

"Be quiet. I did not ask for information. I was merely commenting on Professor Lupin's lack of organisation."

At those words, I'm not sure what propelled me to but I said, "He's the best Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher we've had." I had been told of the previous two, who were total nut jobs. There was a murmur of agreement from the rest of the class.

"You are easily satisfied. Lupin is hardly over-taxing you - I would expect first years to be able to deal with Red Caps and Grindylows." said Snape, menacingly. "Today we shall discuss, werewolves."

Hermione, not being able to resist said, "But sir, we're not doing Werewolves, we're going to start-"

"Miss.Granger, I was under the impression that I was taking this lesson, not you. And I am telling you to turn to page three hundred and ninety-four." He paused. "Now. Which of you can tell me how we distinguish between the werewolf and the true wolf?"

Everyone sat motionless, except for Hermione, whose hand had shot up into the air instantly, like always.

"Anyone?" said Snape, ignoring Hermione.

"Are you telling me Professor Lupin hasn't even taught you the basic distinction between- '' I cut him off. My hair turned red as my blood boiled hearing him insult Professor Lupin. Why? I'm not sure. I stood up angrily.

"We told you, we haven't got as far as werewolves yet, we're still on -"

"Silence! Sit down Miss.Black before I deduct points from Gryffindor.'' sneered Snape. I glared at him, viciously, and sat back down, fuming.

"I never thought I'd meet a third-year class who wouldn't even recognise a werewolf when they saw one. I shall make a point of informing Professor Dumbledore how very behind you are."

"Please, sir, the werewolf differs from the true wolf in several ways. The snout of the werewolf-"

"That is the second time you have spoken out of turn, Miss.Granger. Five more points from Gryffindor for being an insufferable know-it-all." said Snape coolly.

Hermione went red, put her hand down and stared at the floor, her eyes full of tears. I glared at the grease ball, before reaching for Hermione's hand, squeezing it reassuringly. Hermione looked up after wiping her tears, I nodded at her and she smiled gently.

"You asked us a question and she knows the answer! Why ask if you don't want to be told?" Ron had gone too far.

Snape said venomously. "Detention, Weasley. And if I ever hear you criticise the way I teach a class, you will be sorry indeed."

No one dared to utter another word. The rest of the lesson passed by with Snape criticizing Lupin, while teaching us about Werewolves. In the end, he told us to write two rolls of parchment on the subject of Werewolves, which was due for Monday. The class groaned, and cursed him quietly.

I left the class as quickly as I could, not being able to stand in the same room as Snape after what he did.

What surprised me was how I was defending Lupin, like we were closely related. I barely talk in class, let alone argue with a teacher. I headed back to Gryffindor tower, with the hope of Professor Lupin returning for our next lesson.