⋙ Chapter Twenty-Five

Start from the beginning

"Because it was only a theory. I still had some trust in him then."

“Does Tyler know about Connor?”

“I called him. He knows some parts.”

“Replay the phone call Bryan.”

Bryan went inside his coat pocket to find my phone. He got it out, and pressed a few buttons. He played it back to the room. My broken voice reverberated around the room.

When the message ended, the younger girl smirked. “That doesn’t sound like an accusation. It sounds like a declaration of love.”

A glint shone through Ms Blackery’s eyes. “Ermentrude, you’re a genius!”

“We can work that angle.” Bryan nodded thoughtfully.

Ms Blackery tossed her phone to Connor. “Connor, if Tyler comes back-”

“I’m more than willing to play the part," he said with a curt nod.

Ermentrude frowned, then sneered. “Oh, you’re thinking about him aren’t you? He won’t care, you know. He won’t be jealous.”

“You clearly don't know him well enough-"

"You mustn't either if you think he'd ever go ba-"

“Shut up you two. Ermen, message the watchers. Tell them to to be on the look out for a Yokela vehicle. Con, call K. Tell him we’ve got it sorted.”

“Have what sorted?”

The four faces turned on me, like a pack of hounds seeing a frightened rabbit. “Well Troye, you’re a very lucky boy. You won’t be hurt, as long as you agree to do as we say.”

“What do I have to agree to?”

“Fake being in a relationship with Connor.”

“What? No! You can’t-”

In a sudden rush of movements, Ms Blackery was in front of me again. “You will fake being in a relationship with Connor, if you want to keep those you love safe.”

“What does that mean?”

Bryan walked towards me at a leisurely pace, as if he was strolling through a park on a Sunday. “We may not be able to find your boyfriend, but we sure as hell know where your family are." The screen behind them turned on. Security cameras. "We know your father is currently in an office, signing out for the building and spilling coffee down his shirt as he usually does on a Monday. We know your mother is in the kitchen cooking dinner for your siblings, who are currently fighting over whether to watch America’s Next Top Model or Sherlock. We can track them, Troye. We can hurt them. And we will hurt them, if you don’t comply.”

“I don't believe you'd hurt-"

The screen changed. An image of bloody bodies was displayed on the screen. There were six decapitated bodies hanging from a bridge. One was so small it must’ve been no older than a five year old. In front was the most sickening sight of all - a smiling president Kahnye-Knot. I shielded my eyes. I wanted to throw up.

"That's what happened to the last person who went against us. Hung, drawn and quartered. Like what they did in the good old days to traitors. Believe us now?

"No," I said impulsively, not believing what I was seeing.

Ms Blackery smiled crookedly, withdrawing the knife once more. “Wrong answer.”

*

When I eventually arrived home, my mother screamed at my bloody appearance. Immediately I’d been rushed to hospital, and remained there ever since.