Chapter XXII: Not Prepared for This

Start from the beginning

What will he take to say a word?! Frowning, I utter, "why aren't you saying anything?! Have you lost your tongue?!"

"You were so small when I held you in my arms," he began, taking in my reaction as I stiffened. As I refused to show any emotions, he slowly but continued, "A little girl who has become her family's world from the day she was born. So tiny, so little. You know, your grandfather, he was so ecstatic. Why wouldn't he?! For many generations no girl was born in his family. As if they had been cursed. But then they had you. You were the curse broker of the family. The life changer of the family. Every day after your birth it was like a festival. I know, you might think of me exaggerating everything. But it is the truth. Everything was smooth, more joyous, more exciting, more lively."

I gaped looking at him. He has a smile on his face as he reveals my birth moments. As he finishes his eyes turn into tragic one. The face that looked younger a few seconds ago has been frowning now. Otherwise daddu Shenoy was difficult to read but today he left himself open. His regretful eyes were proof of it.

"Until the day you got kidnapped. You took a part away with you. Your father, he still acts crazy, when he finds a clue whichever gives him hope of you. Your grandfather, he did not believe in god, started going to temple. 
Though, he was on the verge of losing his faith since it had been nineteen years. They had detectives after detectives looking for you. But none can find you. Not even a single clue," he sighed. 

"Keya, you don't know, but what it took your grandfather not to confront you. Just in fear of losing you again he stayed quiet. Your father and mother haven't been informed yet. Only your grandfather knew about you being that missing child. I only came to tell you that your family and you have suffered enough. And you are the only one to end it. The sufferings, the devastation, the hopelessness, everything. End it please."

☆☆☆

"Nobody deserves what happened. Not you, not them, not us."

Those words were swirling in my mind like Arijit Singh's latest song. 

My grandfather, wasn't he supposed to be dead?! Then why was he waiting in silence, in fear of losing me?! Again. My father?! I thought I lost him at five. Then how it turned out that he didn't even know about me?! 

After daddu left my room nobody came in. It's been like one and half days since I had confined myself in this room. I braid my hair, staring at myself in the mirror. Transparency. That's what mirror images are known for. Right?! Then why don't I see sadness in my eyes?! Shouldn't I feel despondent after knowing the truth?! Melancholy hasn't reached me yet. I wonder why I am feeling the way I am?! I hadn't shed a single tear over the past thirty six hours. 

Maybe because daddu Shenoy kept the situation still hidden. He had not told me everything. Only bits of it. Why did my mother kidnap me?! Why were the detectives unable to find me for nineteen long years?! And why did my dead daddu finally decide to reunite me with my birth family?! 

To put it all to an end?! But how?! He told me to put everyone out of misery like I was taught to. Or does he think I was?! 

God, I was just told that I was kidnapped at the age of two. I was a freaking toddler then. How should I act at the age of twenty after meeting my family?! I don't remember them. What's worse?! I don't even know who they are?! 

Wait! Like, really, who are they?! My family.

As I descend down the stairs shrieking cries fill my ears. And some condolences. Then something slamming hard wood, "I can't believe you kept it from us. How long were you going to keep it a secret?! For fuck sake she is our daughter."

I freeze. One step on the stairs, another hanging in the air. My fingers on the railing tightened it's hold. Gulping the lump didn't help melting the knots in my stomach. 

They are here. My birth parents, my real parents. But do I want to meet them?! Am I ready to meet them?! I think I have time. Did not daddu said they don't know about me. Then who told them?!

The same voice seethe, "if not for Malvika, we will be kept in dark for fuck knows how long." There it is, my answer. Aunt Malvika really has some personal grudge on me.

I was not prepared for this. Contemplating whether to go back or to go ahead was the thought that lingered in my mind. The previous one seems a better choice. But who am I kidding, I will be only delaying the situation. As I know I can't escape the situation. 

Delaying seems better for now. Until I get prepared. Good that I was hidden by a pillar. Also nobody was paying attention in this direction. Thinking that I took a step back, slowly, silently, carefully not making noise. 

However life always has something against our plans. Life is like deal with it. Now. Ready or not.

"I am going to her," saying that I heard footsteps coming my way. As soon as his eyes fell on me, he stopped. He stared, quietly as my eyes widened realizing who he was. 

He can't be ___ no way. He can't be___ how?! Is he really my___ my father?! 

A small smile forms on his face, displacing the frown. As he climbed the distance before embracing me into his hug. A strong yet warm fatherly hug. He mumbled, "I'm sorry my baccha."

A/N: Who could be her parents?! Any guesses?!