fourteen.

the letter

the letter

~~~~~

It was late at night when Hope crept out from her bedroom.

She couldn't sleep. Her thoughts were keeping her from sleeping. At least that's what she wished for it to be. But the truth was, she was preventing herself from sleeping. Because it was her that kept moving from one thought to the other, letting herself get drawn into an endless black hole of revelations and questions. And the more she seemed to figure out one thought, the more another thought popped into her mind.

It irked her.

Not being able to have a solid answer for the thoughts and questions that she had. It made her feel incomplete, like she was missing something. Or maybe that was just how she wanted to feel.

Either way, she didn't want an answer to that aching feeling she had.

With thoughts still spinning in her mind, she walked down the hall as quietly as she could. She passed every room in the house, hearing the sounds of her family members sleeping.

However, as she got to one room, she noticed the door was slightly ajar and she couldn't help but push it open even more to get a better look at what was inside.

Ever since they had moved back to Mystic Falls. Into this mansion that she was told her family once lived in. She hadn't had time to explore it like she wanted. She also hadn't had time to hear about her family members and how they were in the past. She wanted to know the history of this town. Her family. Everything.

And maybe that was why she entered the room.

Not being able to find a light switch, she quietly cast a spell, creating a small ball of light. She then began to walk around the room, observing every small detail and item she saw.

She noticed that the majority of the space was taken up by paintings and photos. All of them were Anastasia, which made sense to her because she knew her father had been and still was in love with the woman. The polaroids were all Anastasia and her father looking extremely happy. Like there was nothing in the world that could ruin their love.

Except clearly there was something that was.

And that brought about Hope's curiosity as to why her father cheated on Anastasia.

As she continued to creep around the room, trying not to wake anybody, she noticed that there was a desk in the room.

Yes, she probably should've noticed something so large before, but she hadn't. But now that she did, she ran her finger along the mahogany wood. Dust was collecting on her finger as she did so, leaving a perfectly polished finish in her wake.