English 9: Evidence That Climate Change is Happening

It may be hard to believe that climate change is actually happening, but glaciers have beenmelting for over 5 decades, ocean levels have risen over 8 inches over a century, and averageglobal temperatures have gone up by 2 degrees Celsius since the 1880's. Due to these fewchanges in the Earth's hydrosphere and biosphere, animals, plants, and we humans have beenaffected by our own dirty handiwork. Climate change was first mentioned and introduced inthe 19th Century - when we weren't even born yet, and it had already been happening fordecades prior. The discovery of climate change has striked up many discussions andcontroversial debate topics about whether it truly exists or not. Well, it does, and here's theproof that our world is indeed falling apart. 

Global temperatures have been rising since the 1800's. Researches from National Geographicshow that greenhouse gas emissions from decomposing organisms and the waste we producehave been breaking down the ozone layer in the atmosphere or the last 30 years, causing less andless UV rays to be filtered and reflected off the atmosphere back into space. UV rays go directlyonto the crust of Earth, causing the air around it to warm up, causing droughts in water-scarceareas, heat waves, and temperatures increasing at alarming rates. The rising temperature causesmany problems amongst us. Heat waves and extreme weathers range from 30 to 50 degreesCelsius, and people who haven't taken care of themselves in this type of weather haveexperienced mild to severe heat strokes, sunburns, and in worst cases, death, from their body'scooling system failing to decrease the body's internal temperature after being under the sun fora long period of time. The increase of temperatures in the atmosphere have also caused arctic iceand glaciers to fade away. 

Arctic glaciers and sheets have been melting for over 60 years due to global warming. Glaciersthat have formed since the beginning of time, when dinosaurs were still alive, when the Ice Ageand mammoths existed. Global warming has caused the poles to melt into the oceans, andanimals who rely on these glaciers for food, habitat, and reproduction lose their homes and aredying off as they can't adapt to their new environment as quickly. According to the CanadianEncyclopedia, this one also one of the reasons that many species of arctic animals like polarbears, caribou, and penguins are going or close to extinction. Melting glaciers have also been acontributing factor to rising ocean levels. 

Since the 1900's, ocean levels have gone up 8 inches globally. Just think how much ice has tomelt in order to make water levels of the entire globe rise close to 4mm in a single year. TheEarth is 97% water, and this increases a little every year as oceans grow. Now, you might think:'8 inches isn't that much', but these extreme water levels have caused many floods, and in someplaces where there are low coastlines, covered entire cities and even islands, like in thePhilippines and Indonesia. Where we live in Richmond, is also at risk of being submerged if itwasn't for the dyke that is built round the edge of the city. Sea levels are actually higher thansome parts of the city especially near the shore, and the only thing keeping the water out of thecommunity are the Steveston dykes. If they weren't there currently, a portion of Richmondwould be submerged under water, causing hundreds of families to lose their homes. The GlobalNews channel also reports that by 2100, parts of Abbotsford and Coquitlam could be floodedseverely, while suburbs Richmond and Delta would be completely and permanently submergedif global warming doesn't slow down. 

Although climate change may not seem like a big deal to you, thousands of lives are lost everyyear because of it. One day in the future, our inconsiderate actions could backfire on us badly,sweeping away our homes, our lives. Increasing temperatures, rising oceans, melting glaciersand flooding are only part of the many problems we as humans have caused in this world, and ifwe want to continue living on our one and only home - planet Earth, we should learn to takecare of her.