CHAPTER 28

Since that day, Jiwon couldn't get a proper sleep and she was torn between trusting Yeosang or her father. The latter might fail as a father but still, he's her father. She can't recklessly jump into a conclusion that her father had indeed killed Yeosang's father.

"Why don't you ask your father? There might be a misunderstand. Probably Yeosang heard it wrong," Yeonjun tried to calm her down as he patted her back. His eyes were glint with concerned.

"But my father won't just admit it, won't he? What if Yeosang was right about it?"

Yeonjun sighed. "I honestly don't know. Maybe you can talk to Yeosang? I'm sure once he cools down he can think better. He can't just leave you like that. You guys loves each other."

"Yeonjun was right," Jiwon mumbled. "Maybe I can try and ask. But how?" She bit her lower lips. Talking to her father was hard enough, let it be asking him a serious question about someone's life.

As if on cue, she heard someone unlocking the front door. Are they coming home? Jiwon quickly switched on the television and pretended that she's watching it. From the corner of her eyes, she saw her mother strolled towards the kitchen; she didn't even bother to ask her daughter how's she doing.

Jiwon turned her head to look at the front door but her father was nowhere to be seen. Furrowing her brows, she hoisted herself up and peeked at the window to check whether he's outside. "Only mother came back home?" she whispered to herself.

She sauntered towards the kitchen to check on her mother, only to find the old woman sitting on the kitchen stool while drinking wine. Jiwon could smell the alcohol reeking from her. She must already have a few drinks before.

Curiosity arouses inside Jiwon since her mother scarcely step foot on this house. Today, she came back home and Jiwon assumed her mother was slightly drunk.

"Mother," she called her.

The woman turned her face slightly to look at her daughter. Jiwon could see that she looked tired and there's eyebags under her eyes. She felt a sudden pity. She must be working hard. "Speak," her mother said lazily.

Jiwon gingerly took a seat beside her mother. "Are you okay?" she awkwardly asked. Her eyes travelled to her mother's face. How long had it been since she sat this close with her? Despite her age, Mrs. Kim still possessed the beauty. Her eyelashes were long and her high cheekbones were tinted red due to the alcohol.

Mrs. Kim twirled her glass and looked at the red coloured drink. She shrugged her shoulder and emptied the content.

Jiwon watched her filled the glass with more wine. "Mother, you will get drunk." She tried to stop her but her mother snatched her hand away.

Mrs. Kim glared at Jiwon. "This is the only way I can forgive your father!" She turned back to her drink and emptied the glass in one shot.

"What do you mean?" Jiwon knitted her brows together. This the chance to ask. "What did father do?"

Mrs. Kim scoffed. "I thought I was enough for him. It didn't cross my mind that he will cheat on me with a younger bitch!"

For a fleeting moment, Jiwon could see a glint of hurt in her mother's eyes. Does she love father?

"I was stupid for falling in love with that man. I should've known better that this marriage was only for business." Mrs. Kim shifted her gaze towards Jiwon and eyed her up and down. "I shouldn't have you either."

Her words didn't affect Jiwon. She knew it from the start that her existence was a mistake and her parents never want her. She didn't want to live in this world either until she met Yeosang. He gave her the reason to live.