CHAPTER 7

She rummaged through her closet and finally found a dress that she thought would suit for dinner — a red off shoulder and knee length satin dress. The material was smooth and luxurious between her fingertips. It was one of many dresses that was the most appropriate for dinner with parents.

Parents.

Her parents had texted her to inform them that they're having dinner with her father's good friend which Jiwon thought more like a business partner. It would be a joke to think that her parents have friends when they don't care about their only daughter.

Jiwon put on the dress after she got out of shower. The silk felt cool against her smooth skin and the A-shape skirt flowed nicely around her lower body. She put on the lightest makeup and let her hair fall freely past her shoulders; she curled it a bit to give her hair more volume.

After checking herself for the last time, she put on her black heels and got into the taxi that she had booked earlier. The car brought her to the centre of Seoul and into the area that was known as an affluent district — Cheongdamdong. One could find the most expensive real estate here and where rich people like to gather.

When the taxi reached the hotel where the restaurant was located, Jiwon got out and smoothen her dress lightly with her hands. She took a deep breath and entered the luxurious looking hotel. The lobby looked like it was made up of gold with a huge chandelier hanging at the centre. The marble floor was shiny and one could see their reflection on it.

The lift was empty when she entered. Jiwon stared at her own reflection on the mirror; her face wore no expression. She's neither excited nor happy to attend the dinner which at the end will only benefit her parents — she's like an accessory for the dinner.

She told the waiter her family's name and they brought her towards the reserved table. There, she could see her parents and their so-called friend were already seated. She introduced herself and lied about the traffic jam when the road was as clear as the day. She's not at fault anyway, they were just too early.

"That's fine. Have a sit dear," The old man who introduced himself as Mr. Choi smiled at her.

Jiwon took a seat next to her mother. The Choi couple was complimenting Jiwon's beauty and she just stayed silent. It felt awkward since she's the only young person at the table and she's not one who was good at talking to elders.

That was until someone arrived and apologised for being late. Jiwon's ears perked upon hearing the familiar voice. Slowly she looked up at the person and her jaw dropped slightly.

Yeonjun?

Yeonjun was as surprised as her but his expression soon dwindled into an amusement. He took a seat beside Mrs. Choi which happened to be in front of Jiwon.

"Your nephew is a fine young man," said Mr. Kim.

Oh, so they're his uncle and aunt.

"Right? He's more like a son to me. We're happy when he decided to continue his study here in Korea. Oh, I think he went into the same university as your daughter," Mr. Choi said and suddenly all attention was on her.

Jiwon was cutting the steak and paused when she felt they were shifting their attention towards her. Yeonjun who was chewing the meat chuckled lightly.

"You two must be in the same class if I'm not mistaken," Mr. Choi added.

Of course, they knew what course their nephew took. Jiwon learned that the Choi couple didn't have any child so they treat Yeonjun like their own.

"Uh, yeah," Jiwon answered shortly.

"Yeonjun only went to Korea twice before. I hope you could help him to show around," Mrs. Choi put her hand on Yeonjun's shoulder.