Prologue

"Dipper! Whatcha doing?" I heard my sister yell to me as I looked up from my journal, holding my place with my finger. 

"Mabel, same thing I always do. Read more in my journal." I looked back and continued reading about the shapeshifter.

"You've been obsessed with that thing ever since we found it! How about a break?" My eyes widened and I looked at her. "Pleeeaaaaassseeeee?" I sighed and put it in my vest. "YAAAAYYYY!!!" She yelled as I put it away. 

I smiled at her as I stood up. To be honest, I was glad to take a break. Ever since we found out who the author was, I've been reading the journals nonstop to try to find out more about the town. He won't tell me a thing. 

We walked downstairs and headed towards the door. "Grunkle Stan, we're going outside!" Mabel yelled.

"uhh... what was that thing your parents always told me? Oh ya, STAY OUT OF TROUBLE! Oh wait... no.... that's not right....." We shrugged and went outside and to the forest.

"So, what do you want to d-" I stopped talking as I saw a huge figure in front of us.

"What is it, bro br-" her eyes widened as she saw it.

I couldn't tell what it was. I quickly pulled out my journal to see if it had any answers as to what this thing is. "uhh..." I flipped through the pages rapidly. "it's a...." I gasped and my eyes were huge. "A-a..... a demon....."

"You mean like a dream demon?"

"N...no.... worse..... like.... a demon demon....."

"What does that me-"

Before she could finish, the demon turned around and looked at us. We stiffened, hoping it didn't see us. But, of course, it did. 

It opened its huge, creepy mouth and laughed. It started walking right at me. Mabel screamed and ran back to the shack, but I was too frightened to move. 

It was now three feet in front of me. I was finally out of shock and turned to run. But I ran too fast and I tripped over an overgrown tree root. It picked me up and I screamed. But by the time Mabel heard, the demon had pulled my soul out of my body and crushed it. It consumed my soul. I was officially dead.

--Mabel's P.O.V.--

I heard Dipper screaming and I ran as fast as I could back to where we were. When I finally got there, the demon was gone.... but.... Dipper was d...dead.... I fell to my knees and cried over my brother's now-dead body.

Three hours later, I stood up and looked down at him. His body was slowly turning into a p...pine tree.... It was over..... I wept one last time, then everything turned grey.

--Dipper's P.O.V.--

It was pitch black... completely dark.... I was surround by emptiness, sorrow, and darkness. There was no sound. I was so cold....

--Mabel's P.O.V.--

I was the only one in color and moving. Everything else was grey and frozen in time. I knew what to expect.

"Well well well. Awfully persistent, Shooting Star. Hats off to you!" He tipped his hat and the whole scene tilted and I slipped, then it went back to normal. "I never thought anyone would cry for three HOURS over their dead brother." I glared at him and wiped my tears away.

"What do you want, Bill?" I said with my shaky voice.

"Well.... Let's just say I can bring your brother back." I looked at him, wondering why he would do that. He HATES my family and me. "I only want a small FAVOR in return."

"Wh.....what do you want in return?"

"We'll work out the details later." His hand was engulfed in a blue flame and he stuck it out. "Tick tock, kid!" His eye turned into a clock ticking down. I looked at Dipper. Only his head was left, the rest of his body was a pine tree.

I thought for a few minutes before I noticed only his hair was left. I took a deep breath and shook his hand.