Chapter 10: You Are My Everything

ابدأ من البداية

Gabriel smiled at her only to be responded with an eye roll. He ordered himself a cocktail, allowing them to drink while they sat silent, only hearing the sounds of conversations being held around them.

Gabriel and Nathalie climbed to the top of the tower, finally emerging in the clock room. The view through the clock face stunned Nathalie.

"Sir. . ."

"You don't have to say anything, nor have to call me 'sir' right now," he softly spoke as he stood next to her.

". . .This is incredible. Did you really prepare this?" Nathalie nodded at the blankets and pillows laid out on the floor, complete with candles.

"Nathalie, do you remember that bizarrely long restroom break I took at the pub? It wasn't because the line was long."

"But how?"

"I came to Big Ben early and managed to bribe a guard with money to set this all up." Gabriel softly placed his hands on Nathalie's shoulders to guide her to sit on the blanket. She shrugged her shoulders, causing his hands to slip off of them. They sat two feet apart from each other.

Nathalie reached into her pocket for her phone to text Jean. . . before remembering Jean wasn't talking to her.

"Nathalie, there's clearly something wrong. What's going on?" Gabriel asked, concerned.

"Honestly. . ." Nathalie's eyes widened with plea as they met his stare. "Can I be honest with you? Do you really want to know? It's not something you have to worry or care about."

"Of course, you can be honest with me. If something's on your mind, I'm here to listen. I want you to be able to trust me."

"I don't know if I should. . ."

"Not just that. . .I want you to feel like I care about what's bothering you, because I do. Though I suppose I've done a terrible job of keeping your trust lately," Gabriel admitted, shaking his head.

"Then tell me, what happened between you and Audrey at the meeting?"

"She's been watching me with unnerving focus lately. I wouldn't want her getting further on the wrong idea if she knew we're talking here."

"About that. . ." Nathalie began unraveling the conversation that she and Audrey had. She noticed a panic flash across his face. "But Audrey said that she wouldn't do anything to ruin your career. It's like, she's too scared of you not falling in love with her to say anything."

"I suppose that's a relief."

"Yes. . ." Nathalie sighed. She fidgeted with her fingers, looking out at the city.

"You don't seem relieved. Is there something else bothering you?"

"Maybe. . . But I don't think I should bother you with my personal life," Nathalie shook her head, attempting to clear her thoughts. "So, why exactly did you set this up?"

"I was thinking we could just. . .talk. Despite everything, you've always been there for me when I needed you. It's time for me to do the same."

"You, be there for me? What makes you think I want you to be?" Nathalie muttered as Gabriel winced at her tone.

"I'm rather late to return the favor. You've been a great help and a greater show of support for all the past years. However, I've done exceptionally little for you."

"Well, let's see if you can make up for it a bit. It all depends on how good a listener you are. And, well. . .I don't have anyone else I can talk to about this."