Chapter Eight: Pieces of Our Minds

The sun was high in the sky as I stepped out of the carriage. The carriage driver drove off and I was left standing in front of the city of Iluquor. I waited for the drawbridge to be lowered and I ran into the city, all the way down the street and to the large tiered building where Samoo lived.

I jumped at the wall of the first tier and I scaled it, pulling myself over the top of the second wall. I ran into the openings into the building from the balcony and was already inside Samoo's bedroom.

It was large, at least a quarter of the size of the entire tier. The two walls which touched outside were lined with big archways which were all open and lead outside. The room itself had a large bed on one end and tons of furniture cluttering the room.

I walked further into the room and saw Samoo, sitting in one of the chairs, looking at a picture. She looked up and saw me, and her face lit up.

"LAYLIS!" She said, shooting to her feet. I walked to her and embraced her. She hugged me back even more tightly, bringing me off my feet. "I MISSED YOU!" She exclaimed, then setting me back down.

"I missed you too, Samoo." I looked down at the picture she had put down on the couch. It was a portrait, painted and no bigger than my head, and in it was Samoo, Zinkah and Delzri. It was old, from a few years before, and Zinkah wasn't smiling, Delzri was hardly smiling, but Samoo's smile was wide and bright. I can't imagine how long she must've had to hold that for the artist.

"What's up with you?"

"I've been busy. I found Delzri, by the way."

"Me too!"

I raised an eyebrow, "Hm?"

"He came here yesterday. He was looking for you, actually. I told him you went to Caipass."

"Oh, I see."

"I'm glad he's still alive!"

"Yeah. Me too." I stood next to Samoo in silence, staring through the archways into the city.

"Is there a reason you're here?"

I took a deep breath in and looked back to her. "Yeah, actually. I came to get you out of here, it isn't safe anymore."

"Safe?"

"The storm is coming here for you, and it might kill you. We should go back to Archwright, I need to talk to the Speaker there. If he's still alive, that is."

Samoo smiled, "Sure!" She began to walk out of the room.

"Where are you going?"

Samoo pointed towards the door, "The armory?"

"What for?"

"Armor, weapons. You said we're going to Archwright, right?"

I swallowed nervously, "Yeah."

I followed her through the hallways and downstairs. We entered the armory through the barracks and all four walls were lined with various weapons and armor. "Woah."

Samoo turned immediately to the biggest weapon on the wall, lifting it effortlessly off the wall. "I'm gonna bring this!"

I laughed, looking around to know if anyone else was seeing this. "A ball and chain?" I asked. Samoo brought it over to me.

"Yeah, a ball and chain." It was large and made of solid steel with spikes jutting out of it. It was attached to a long and nearly-as-heavy looking chain which screeched against the terracotta floor. She glanced to the wall and gasped. "Hold it for me," She said, holding it out for me. Before I could respond, she dropped it into my hands. It was so heavy.