Ch. 2

"Did you make a reservation?" I asked Annabelle as I put my earrings in, looking in my full length mirror.

"I thought you were making it."

I turned to look at her, sitting on my bed while scrolling through her phone. "Why would I make the reservations? You're the one who was planning dinner."

"Oh. Well, whatever, it'll be fine."

"Belle, it's Cinco de Mayo!" I said the last three words with such emphasis that I was surprised I was able to not sound completely pissed off. Not only did I get talked into going out to dinner tonight but now I'd most likely be waiting for over an hour for a table.

"Caitlin, don't worry. It'll be fine and besides the restaurant has live music so we'll have fun while we wait for a table. They've got a new dance floor and everything," she swayed from side to side dancing to imaginary music.

"Alright, if you say so," I sighed and looked back at the mirror taking in my off-the-shoulder floral top and jeans. I strapped on my espadrilles which added 3 inches to my height but Grant would still tower over me, which I loved.

Once I was satisfied with my outfit I sat next to Annabelle on my bed. "Who are you texting?" I asked teasingly.

Annabelle blushed and angled her phone away from my eyes. "No one."

"Mhmmmm."

Annabelle was always talking to some guy, but never went on more than a date or two with them. She felt she was above high school boys and I didn't blame her. Aside from a select few, Grant included, none of the boys at school were really worth dating. They still acted like they were 12 most of the time and I've heard from my older cousins that guys even in their 20s still act like they're 12.

"Fine, don't tell me who it is," I feigned disinterest hoping it would prompt her to spill the beans, but she was too engaged in her phone screen to even notice my comment.

"Grant will be here any minute. He texted a while ago that he just left Hudson's. Let's go wait outside."

"Hudson's riding with us too?"

"Yeah," I replied as I opened my bedroom door and waited for her to follow me out of the room.

Annabelle sighed and rolled her eyes as she got off my bed leaving creases and the imprint of her bottom on my previously perfectly fluffed pink and green floral duvet.

"Why are you suddenly hating on Hudson so much? We've all been friends for so long. What's gotten into you?"

"He's just around all the time these days. Like seriously, everywhere I turn bam he's there. It's like he's the third person in your relationship with Grant. It's like you're a throuple."

I snickered at the thought that I'd ever be in a throuple and that Annabelle would even think Hudson is tagging along too much when she was with us way more than he ever is. I didn't say that to her though, lest she feel like I'm rubbing it in her face that I'm in a relationship and she's not.

"He's really not with us that often," I giggled as we made our way down the stairs, the wood creaking beneath our feet. "Besides this is a group hang and dinner."

"Ugh whatever."

I got the feeling that she didn't want Hudson there in case he made a similar comment about her always being around. Hudson is really observant and seems to be a pretty good judge of character. He's also the only one in our friend group who isn't afraid to occasionally call her out on her bullshit. Grant and I usually just let her dramatic ways slide because it's always harmless and she's just extra like that.