Chapter 13: Proposals & Unrequited Love

Start from the beginning

“Clark . . .” Chloe said.

“Chloe, I need to know.” Clark said urgently. He dropped the paper and didn’t notice when Oliver picked it up.

He didn’t see the shocked expression on Oliver’s face when he read the headlines nor did he catch the distress filling his brown eyes, the theories already forming in that quick mind.

Clark took a deep breath. “I know better. Look, I know better. You know, I've tried so hard to let Lana go that . . . if she marries Lex, there's no going back. Is it true?”

“I would double down on the fact that Lana's still in love with you." Chloe admitted.

“I can’t let her do this.” Clark said.

“Whoa, Clark,” Chloe said. “Wait a minute. I . . . it’s a lot more complicated now.”

“What could be more complicated than living your life with regrets?” Clark asked, puzzled.

He could hear her sigh. “Clark, I thought you said you were over her. What about Oliver?”

“Chloe, I don’t know what I feel about Lana,” Clark said, “She was my first love and a part of me will always care about her.”

“But you’re not in love with her anymore!” Chloe said impatiently, “Clark, what will you tell her? And again, I ask, what about Oliver? I thought you were in love with him.”

“Unrequited love sucks, Chloe,” Clark replied, “But that’s what it is - unrequited. There’s nothing there.” He avoided telling her that they had been about to kiss when she called but truth be told, he knew nothing could come of it.

In fact, he was a little angry with Oliver. How could the man have had sex with Lois just the night before and then come and tried to kiss him? Why did he have to love him so much?

“Chloe,” he continued, focusing on the situation at hand, “I have to at least talk to Lana, find out what she is thinking.”

“Alright,” Chloe said, knowing she was unable to stop him, “Do what feels right, but please, Clark, think before you act. There is so much more at stake now.”

“Don’t worry, I’ll be careful.” He promised.

They exchanged goodbyes and he hung up. He turned back to Oliver who was sitting at the table, expression stiff.

“Hey, sorry about that.” Clark apologized.

“It’s fine.” Oliver said, his voice low. “If you are in a rush, we can postpone you cooking for me until another time.”

'He overheard the conversation.' Of course, he had. Oliver had been sitting right there and Clark had been going off, as if he was alone. Was Oliver upset that Clark was going to see Lana? He groaned inwardly. This situation was so confusing.

“Don’t worry about it,” he said, forcing a smile. “And don’t think of trying to sneak out! I’m cooking and that’s final.”

At his light tone, Oliver cracked a smile. “Darn.”

Neither mentioned what had almost happened before the phone call and Clark liked to keep it that way. He wasn’t ready to talk about it.