Chapter 11: Date With Danger

Magsimula sa umpisa

“Don’t say that,” Chloe told him, “Don’t you ever say that. You are a wonderful man and you are going to make some person very lucky one day.” She smiled at him. “Because you’re kind and you have a good heart and you’re a great catch. Anyone who has told you otherwise is blind and stupid.”

Clark smiled and squeezed her hand lightly. “Does Jimmy know how lucky he is? If he doesn’t, I’ll be more than happy to remind him.”

Chloe smiled, tears shimmering in her eyes. “I think he does.”

“Well, I feel pretty lucky too.” Clark agreed, “To have you as my best friend.”

“The feeling is mutual, Clark.” Chloe said. They sat in silence, the two of them just enjoying each other’s company when a voice startled them.

“If it isn’t the dynamic duo.” They looked up to see Oliver, with a teasing grin on his face.

“Hey, Oliver.” Clark said.

“Am I interrupting anything?” Oliver asked.

“No, definitely not.” Chloe said, “In fact, I was just leaving.”

“Chloe, you don’t have to go.” Clark said, not really wanting to be alone with Oliver.

“It’s alright,” Chloe said, “I have to get back to the Planet anyway. See you guys later.”

“Bye.” Clark said.

Oliver took Chloe’s abandoned seat. “I hope I didn’t chase her away.”

“No, Chloe is always running around,” Clark assured him. “It’s not in her nature to sit still for this long.”

Oliver laughed. “I can understand how she feels. I really can’t sit still either.”

“So, what’s new?” Clark asked.

“Well, actually, I was looking for you.” Oliver admitted.

“Looking for me? Why?” Clark questioned.

“I need a favor.” Oliver said

“Okay,” Clark agreed, “What kind of favor?”

“The Metropolis Museum of Art is having this exhibit,” Oliver explained. “I got this invitation and I RSVP’d for two. Unfortunately, Lois can’t come.”

“So, what do you want me to do about it?” Clark questioned.

Oliver grinned. “I was hoping you’d be free this weekend.”

“You want me to come with you?” Clark asked incredulously. “Wouldn’t that be a little weird?”

“Not at all,” Oliver replied, “Nobody will say anything. People bring their friends to these things all the time. And you did say we’re friends. I really don’t want to have to go alone.”

'He’s very sneaky,' Clark thought. “I don’t know, Oliver,” Clark said, “I don’t really belong at these fancy events. It’s not really me.”