''How are not trying to make me pity you right now?'' Jess looked at me as if she was about to scoff. Did our years of friendship mean nothing to her?

''Don't worry, my life gets better. We're only two flashbacks into my life, have some patience will you?'' I spoke to her as I shook my head at her.

''No more flashbacking!'' She exclaimed as she widened her eyes at me.

''But I've barely-''

''I'll ask questions and you answer, okay?'' Jess didn't ask me in a way that was asking for permission. I nodded at her wordlessly as I let her take the stage.

''Why did you lie to me?'' She questioned me as her expression became sterner once again.

''And sound like a crazy person? What about you?'' I doubled back as I took a step towards her. She flinched in the slightest at my movements.

She didn't reply, she continues staring at me with a look that irked my senses. There was something about the atmosphere. The way she addressed me. It didn't seem like she was there to give me a chance to explain.

It wasn't a trail.

It was an execution.

As if it was scripted, I heard a rustle from the trees far behind me. I was still getting used to my heightened senses. I turned around to see shadows. Shadows that told me there were people behind the trees that weren't supposed to be there.

Again, it was nothing someone without abilities would have spotted in the darkness. I turned around to face Jess with my face of seriousness.

I didn't like the situation she put me in.

If anyone should've been sporting a look of disappointment and betrayal, it was me.

She narrowed her eyes at me as if to figure out if I had figured out the situation.

''I just find it odd. Nick and Sharia disappear. Your abilities suddenly appear. And you move on with life with your new friends as if nothing happened.'' Jess spoke to me as her glare intensified. I darted my eyes away from her with a nervous laugh. I tightened my grip around myself as I took in a deep breath.

''If you let the flashbacks continue, you'd know why.'' I replied with a shrug. She was putting it in words that made me look like a heartless prick.

''How are you so incapable of taking anything seriously?'' She questioned me as her irritation flared a bit.

''I'm not into teen angst. Brooding is so not good for the skin.'' I explained to her in a tone of seriousness.

''I'm convinced. You have no conscious. Sorry, it has to end like this.'' She spoke to me as she looked past me to the trees behind me. She nodded briefly. I assumed it was a signal to her people. I braced myself for the worst. As expected, I sense something shooting straight for my head. I was sure that they were aware that they couldn't kill me. Did they think hurting me would stop me from harming others?

The logic wasn't present.

For a split second, I was incredibly cool as tilted my body to the side, the arrow missed me. Jess shot up her hand just as fast to catch it. She held it in the air as she had her eyes narrowed at me.

''Why are you doing this?'' I questioned her in confusion, it seemed as if everyone was aware of my abilities. Everyone was expecting me to wipe them out. I had to question why they still wanted to fight.

''To show you we're not afraid. That we'll be one step behind you each time you hurt someone or attempt to. We'll be there to give you punishment everybody else is afraid to give.'' Jess monologued quite dramatically before she lunged to strike the arrow at me.