If only I knew

You.
You knew how to touch me where none did...
You knew how to make me feel something...
You know how to catch my attention...
You know how to reach my soul...
You know to make me smile... hope... and...

[three months ago.]
"Love? " I said frowning my brows, looking at the phone screen then placing it back against my ear. "Why are we talking about love? You're delusional." I giggled.
"Am I? So you're saying that... there is no love in you for me? " you asked and I didn't know back then if I should say the truth or lie. So... I lied.
"I appreciate you as a friend." I said slowly and ironically keeping a light smile on my lips.
"Phone friend. " you interrupted.
"Yes! Phone friend and I want it to be this way forever. " I giggled.
"Are you sure ?" You asked and I felt hope in your voice. You wanted me to say no... that I wanted more but I had to lie ... again.
"I'm 100% sure, sir."
"Alright then... " you were disappointed, but I had to stay committed to my rules.
"I must sleep now." I lied... trying to escape your questions.
"I will then... tell you goodnight and talk to you tomorrow?" You said.
"Yes. Goodnight." I told you not wanting to go...
"Hey... " I smiled feeling better because of your 'hey' I thought you were gonna say something which would push me to say it back... I hoped... I wanted you to... but..
"I'm leaving next week." Oh god. "And I don't know when I will be back, so I would love us to meet before my departure." You said. I wanted to say yes... I wanted to agree... I wanted to show you how excited I was to meet you, but...
"No. " I answered.
"No? " you repeated.
"I don't want to." I said... lying to you and to myself.
"Alright. " you sighed. "You know? Whoever passes by what might turn into the most beautiful story of his life... will forever regret it and I don't want to see you... "
I interrupted you, "stop. You don't know me that well and you've no idea how I feel, so could you stop acting like we are having some kind of a thing here... because this isn't it." I said.

I was so mean that night... if only I knew that it was gonna be the last time I talk to you, I would have done it differently... I would have said it all... I would have let it all out...
But... it's too late...
And you were right... it is a forever regret.