Chapter 42 - In the End, I Get to Rest in Peace

A month passed without Ping Hai seeing the young girl nor his brother.

It was nighttime. He tossed around and around in bed, wondering just how far Yi Ran and his nearing-to-death brother had gone. Perhaps, they found a doctor and his older brother had been cured. Then, Yi Ran and his older brother would live happily and ever after...

Or maybe both of them have long perished.

Ping Hai forced himself to not think much. He shoved his face into the pillow, with sleep looming all over Square Town.

He'd woken up to the sound of screams.

Tumbling out from his bed, Ping Hai peered out of the window. He saw blood running down the streets, with the liquid staining cobblestone in colours of crimson red. It was like a flood. Corpses collapsed and scattered all over the streets, with their wounds so horrible that not a single body could be recognizable.

What used to be the streets of Square Town—a place full of prosperity and life—had become a place where the living bid farewell and crossed over to Hell.

"MAMA!!! HELP ME!" A child cried on the streets.

His mother had caressed his head in her arms, protecting the child from the culprit of the bloodbath, "Why must you do this!"

The culprit wore a black cloak, with their face smeared in dirt and familiar scars. Yi Ran wielded a sword, which created metal sparks from dragging across the cobblestone ground. "Why?" Her voice was awfully dry and monotone-like, sounding as if she'd strained her throat.

Her eyes were bloodshot red. Back then, when I went around the entire village asking for help... nobody came! I circled the entirety of Square Village from dusk till dawn!

I even went to the neighbouring villages and cities... they all refused me. It's so simple. You all could've given me at least... some coins. Even one coin was enough to make a difference! But he died... he passed away... you're all damn murderers!

Nobody knew what thoughts roamed in her mind.

Her sword slashed and the pair of mother-and-son collapsed. Blood squirted out from their cut throats, and their life had been drained of.

Yi Ran felt like it wasn't enough. She stabbed her sword at the mother's corpse, watching her blade slide in through the abdomen and out. Puddles of blood had painted the cobblestone, making the streets become a sea of corpses.

She barged into many houses, with her sword doing all the work. Ping Hai found himself shaking all over, from head to toe. Yi Ran has come back... and now, she has become a murderer...

"Ah-Hai," His mother ran into his bedroom, her expression terror-stricken. "We have to get out of here." She was about to pull her son along, but then, her old body had froze. A dagger from the window had pierced through her neck, opening a horrendous wound.

Ping Hai watched, aghast. Then, a droplet of blood had sprayed onto his cheeks. Lips charred, Ping Hai felt like his heart was being squeezed and crushed.

"MOM!!!" He cried.

Crouching down to get closer to his mother's corpse, Ping Hai's tears were never-ending. His body shook and headed to his wails. The cries and bloodshed out in Square Town had stopped. Aside from Ping Hai's sobs, there were no more sounds.

"Mom... mom..." His sobs became quieter, because there was the sound of footsteps from behind.

Yi Ran stood behind his back, unmoved. Her pupils were unwavering and not even a fluctuation of emotion had appeared, as she staring at her enemy. She brandished her sword, pointing it at Ping Hai's back. "Are there any last words you have? If you ask the right questions, I might spare an answer."