Chapter 38 - Dig Up a Piece of Treasure

It was nighttime. The three couples had rested up for this moment, and snuck out from the inn. Their robes swayed in the winter breeze, with snowflakes occasionally drifting onto the surface. Nighttime was quite dark, but the shining moon and blinding snow made it feel like the entire night was lighten up.

"There is no fire so far." Shen Qingqiu analyzed.

The villagers said that during night, there would be occasional sightings of blue fire, but never harming the buildings or people.

The villagers of Square Town were confident that the source of the blue fire was from the original villagers, whom died in the fire. Meanwhile, the three couples could already confirm that the source was from Yi Ran. But what could be confirmed is that there was something or someone protecting Square Town.

That was the identity of the 'Immortal'.

"Why did this trash—I mean—cat come out with you... Gege?" Hua Cheng coughed.

Perched on top of Xie Lian's shoulder was the black cat.

The black cat saw that Hua Cheng was on the verge of panicking, and felt that it was quite amusing. "Meow." The cat swayed its tail, wrapping around Xie Lian's slender forearm. The cat seemed to be mocking Hua Cheng, "I can touch what you can't...."

"Gege," Hua Cheng attempted to explain. "We might encounter something dangerous. This cat... it might get innocently involved. For its safety... it's best not to bring it along."

Xie Lian's eyes softened. "You're right, San Lang."

He tried to let the cat down, but it refused. The black cat just stood perched on Xie Lian's shoulder, unwilling to come down, while also acting like a scarf.

"...how about we just bring it along?" Wei Wuxian said in the back, laughing at Hua Cheng's misery.

Xie Lian patted the black cat's head. All the rest of the three couples had their turn. When they finished appeasing the black cat (Hua Cheng likes to call it trash), they continued on their way. The three couples marched through the snow.

"There is quite a lot of snow." Wei Wuxian commented. "Ahh... I'm not used to this. You never know what is buried underneath. We could be missing a lot of clues."

Shen Qingqiu fanned himself. "We can only make do."

Luo Binghe clutched onto his Shizun's arms, as they continued marching forwards.

Xie Lian also wanted to keep up. Who knew if his bad luck was acting up again on him, but merely walking through the snow was no easy feat. Xie Lian stepped forwards once, then felt his foot slip and lose its footing. "Huh?" He couldn't hold himself back, then tripped.

The black cat clutched at his forearms, then climbed around the heavenly God's body.

In the end, Xie Lian face-planted into the snow, with the black cat avoiding the snow by resting on the back of Xie Lian's head.

"Gege!" Hua Cheng called out.

The three couples went to look back. Xie Lian remained face-planted in the snow, as if he didn't want to face his surroundings. "I'm fine..." His voice was muffled in the snow.

Hua Cheng helped him up from the snow faithfully, while cursing the black cat hundreds of times in his mind.

"Did Xie-xiong trip on flat ground again?" Shen Qingqiu fanned himself.

Xie Lian shook his head, wiping his face from the snow. "I'm sure that I tripped on something from under the snow."

"Aha!" Wei Wuxian laughed uproariously. "I knew that there must be something hidden under the snow! Xie-xiong, you don't have bad luck! You're our lucky star!"