Chapter 27 - A Challenger Stands Tall

In the midst of the rain, a white figure walked forwards step by step.

Xie Lian's bamboo hat blocked the rain for him, with the rain drops sliding down the brim. In one hand, he held Mo Huanhan's alchemy book. In his other hand, he analyzed a needle. Ever since completing the mission at the Mo Clan, he'd been studying the functions of absorbing spiritual energy.

Acupuncture was definitely miraculous, he thought.

"Where are you headed to, Xie-xiong?" Shen Qingqiu saw him and ducked underneath his bamboo hat. The distance between them had decreased extremely. Their shoulders brushed past one another.

Xie Lian smiled, "I am going to visit the embroidery store. Just recently, I purchased some needles as an experiment. The needles are custom-made. They should be created from the finest steel wire and nickel, deposited from Yunmeng Jiang's best mine."

He showed the needle in his hand to Shen Qingqiu. "This was purchased from their store. I experimented with them and saw that it fits me. I'm going to purchase some more."

Shen Qingqiu understood. "What's the experiment you're working on?"

"Spiritual energy absorption." Xie Lian lowered his voice. His eyes were gentle, "I wanted to try out the methods in Mo Huanhan's alchemy book. It might come in good use for the future."

Shen Qingqiu's eyes brightened. "That's a good idea!" He snapped his fan shut. "If you ever finish learning this method, please do teach me! There's no doubt that you'd be a great teacher!"

Xie Lian chuckled gently at him. "You overpraise me, Shen-xiong."

They continued conversing with one another, as they finally entered the embroidery store. After purchasing more needles, Xie Lian and Shen Qingqiu stepped out from the store. They ducked underneath Xie Lian's bamboo hat for shelter from the rain, walking consistently.

"Oh yeah," Shen Qingqiu suddenly remembered. "Last time we bought items, you couldn't even afford eight simple tanghulu's. How come now you have money?"

Xie Lian tripped on the spot.

Shen Qingqiu was surprised. He reacted quickly, grabbed the scrap-picker by his forearm and prevented him from falling onto the wet pavement. "Pay attention to where you're stepping!"

"...I did." Xie Lian pouted. Earlier, he had tripped on... absolute flat ground.

Shen Qingqiu sighed. "What would you do now without your Ghost King?" They continued hiding underneath the bamboo hat, walking down past several streets. Gradually, they came across a familiar figure.

Wei Wuxian strolled across them. He looked at the box of needles they carried with interest.

Seeing his curiosity, Xie Lian passed the box over. "It is apart of an experiment I'm conducting."

Wei Wuxian pulled a needle out, fondling with its tip, which easily drew a bead of blood out from his finger. "Nice, it is quite sharp."

He gave back the needle, placing it in the box.

Xie Lian looked worriedly at the blood on Wei Wuxian's finger. "Wei-xiong, your hand..."

Wei Wuxian arched an eyebrow then flexed his hand. "Oh, this? It's nothing." He rubbed the bead of blood from his fingers, which was immediately smeared into nothing. "See? It's fixed."

The panic visible in Xie Lian's golden pupils had faded away. He sighed, "Don't go injuring yourself like that. Just imagine how worried HanGuang-Jun will be for you."

Wei Wuxian bowed his head. "You're right."

The three wifey's ducked from the rain. They were all sheltered from underneath Xie Lian's bamboo hat. Their shoulders touched one another, but none of them cared for the shortness of distance.