19. Crave You Like No Other

Start from the beginning

And there were her words...

She was convinced that Alpha Slater would kill her and she meant it.

I didn't know what she could possibly mean.

Yet there was conviction in her statement that I couldn't ignore. She believed her words so much, I wondered what she had done to feel so much self-incrimination.

The cool breeze made my eyes blur as I kept walking, lost in my countless thoughts. It was stupid, since I had forgotten to keep myself alert. Hence, it was a surprise when I failed to detect the swift sound of paws hitting mulch until a wolf slid in front of my path, forcing me to stop mid step.

I froze, startled.

It took me seconds to recognise the wolf.

Wolf morphed to man.

Alexei stormed towards me, his arms taking me around the waist and pushing me up against a thick tree. My palms landed on his bare chest; I could feel the thunderous tune of his heart beating against my right hand.

His grip on my hips was tight, his fingers spread as if to touch as much of me as he could hold.

His breaths came out in rapid, short inhales and exhales, I was worried. I willed myself to relax in his embrace.

The moment my back hit the tree, he had stuffed his face into my neck, breathing deep.

I held still, letting him breathe me in.

We didn't speak for a few minutes. I didn't mind. I was content having him close, feeling his lips against my neck and feeling the comforting beat of his head pressed against me.

When his grasp loosened and turned to soft, gentle petting, I cupped his cheeks, coercing his face in front of mine. His dark eyes zipped along my face, taking in my expression and studying everything from the loose locks of hair that had fallen from my hair tie to the soft curve of my chin.

"You're scaring me a little Alexei. I can feel your heart banging against your ribcage."

He squeezed his eyes shut, releasing another breath. "You scared me."

"What?"

"You weren't in the cabin when we returned Penelope. The door was left open and there was food all over the ground. We saw blood and scented a Rogue in the cabin."

"Oh."

Alexei could only glance down at me in disbelief. "Oh?"

I scrunched my nose, "I didn't think about that."

"Goodness woman!" He pinched the bridge of his nose, "We were looking for you. The last place we trekked your scent was at the edge of the cliff. We thought you fell down there. Jamison and Aella are down there looking for you now."

"Oh." I honestly didn't know what to say. I hadn't thought about the wreck left behind when I chased Mila.

"I stayed behind to see if you were somehow around here. I was at the cabin when I caught your scent."

"I'm sorry, I didn't think."

Alexei closed his eyes, shaking his head. "Tell me what happened. Don't leave anything out."

I opened my mouth to speak but lost my words when I realised the man was butt-naked. "Before I tell you the juicy news, do you want a jacket or something?"

Alexei opened his eyes, glancing down at his naked state. I kept my gaze stubbornly above his neck. His knowing gaze flew to mine. "Does my current lack of clothes bother you Penelope?"