Chapter 2

I wake up the next morning as I pull myself out of my comfy bed. It feels nice to have actually gotten sleep. I pinch my arm quickly to make sure I didn't just dream about being adopted. I jump slightly from the pain. It wasn't a dream. The smell of bacon and coffee slowly makes it way to my room as the scent lingers in the air. I get out of my bed and open my suitcase. I take my few outfits and hang them in my closet as I pick one to wear. I throw on my burgundy sweater, and black leggings.

"Vivian. Breakfast is ready." Derek shouts from the kitchen.

"Coming." I shout while coming down the stairs.

I sit in a chair at the table. Penelope comes up behind me and smooths the hairs on the top of my head before planting a kiss on it.

"How did you sleep Vivi?" Penelope asks as she sit in a chair next to me, while Derek stand over the stove mixing eggs in a hot frying pan, and flipping the bacon over.

"It was amazing! I haven't slept that great in a long time. Thanks Penelope." I smile while wondering how I became this lucky.

Derek places a plate with a pancake on it in front of me. Penelope places a bottle of maple syrup in the middle of the table.

"Eggs and bacon are almost done." He goes back to the stove to finish.

I put some syrup on my pancake and begin to eat. It's been a long time since I had pancakes. We normally had oatmeal or cold cereal at the orphanage. Every once in a while on an holiday we would get pancakes or biscuits with jam.

"This is delicious, Derek thank you!" I vocalize after swallowing the bite of food. Derek places some scrabbled eggs, and two pieces of crispy bacon on my plate.

"You're welcome, Vivi. Glad you like it." He then pours two mugs with coffee and passes one to Penelope.

"Thank you my sweetness." She smiles at him.

"Anything for you my Queen." He puts his coffee on the table and grabs a cup out of the cabinet.

"What would you like to drink Vivi? We have milk, apple juice, grape juice, and chocolate syrup so I could make some chocolate milk too." Derek says while looking through the fridge.

"I'll have some grape juice." I pick up a piece of the bacon, taking a bite into the crispy goodness.

Derek pours some juice in the cup, and then hands it to me.

The rest of breakfast goes by rather quickly. Derek and Penelope taking about some old cases they had worked. It intrigued me, their line of work. Being FBI agents.

"When do you go back to work?" I interpret them, talking about a guy they called Mr. Scratch.

"Not for a while sweetheart. Hotch wants us to take a month off." Penelope smiles and I look down, feeling bad that they have to take time off because of me.

"I'm sorry you have to take time off because of me." I whisper the words almost too quietly for them to hear.

"Don't feel bad about it Vivian! We couldn't be happier to have you in our lives. JJ wants us to come over later today when she gets off work. You can meet her kids, Henry and Michael." Penelope states trying to cheer me up.

I smile up at her. "Okay, Penelope. I'd like that."

Derek is staring down at a folder from work. Mr. Scratch is written on the folder.

"Who's Mr. Scratch, Derek?" I ask my curiosity gets the best of me.

He sighs, and keeps his eyes on the folder as he starts to explain.