Chapter 41 - You Look Good in Blue

Start from the beginning

Yi Ran was grateful to him. She had stolen jewelry from a rich family and planned to send it to Ping Sha as a gift. However, Ping Sha never responded to her letters.

Yi Ran knew that the mailman managed to mail her letters to the shrine.

So why wasn't Ping Sha replying to her?

"You have to believe me." Ping Hai was exasperated. "My older brother... he isn't to be trusted! Every good thing he did for you was a trick! He is trying to manipulate you and hurt you! He was trying to gain your trust and love... only to hurt you in the end! You have to stop trying to-"

He found himself unable to say a thing.

Yi Ran just blankly stood there. She was expressionless, as if she was unable to process everything down. Ping Hai couldn't help but stop himself.

He didn't want to hurt her... unlike his older brother...

But then, a hollow laugh arose in the corridor. "I see..." Yi Ran's lips had outstretched to a wide smile, "That's why he isn't responding to my letters..." She understood at last. It wasn't that she wasn't trying hard enough. It was just that the other side didn't have the heart to reciprocate.

"Yi Ran..." Ping Hai didn't know how to comfort her. "It's unfortunate, but you don't have to rely on my older brother anymore. I am here. I can help you-"

"Ah-Sha." Yi Ran interrupted. "I always knew Ah-Sha was this kind of person."

Her expression was rock solid, unmoving like she didn't care for anything but Ping Sha in the world. "He's despicable. He is malicious. I knew that from the beginning."

Ping Hai was shocked silly.

It took him quite a while to react. "You knew from the beginning?"

"Yes." Yi Ran's eyebrows were slanted. "From the first day I was taken in your shrine... I heard you and Ah-Sha's conversation. He said..." She reminisced. Ah-Sha said that he was toying around with my feelings, and he also said that he will leave me... to hurt me... Instead of tears, what came out from her eyes was the expression of a person who was numb to everything.

Ping Hai's body shook. "Then why are you..." Why do you continue to chase after him?

Yi Ran knew what he was thinking.

She laughed, "Ping Hai... do you know the difference between you and your brother?" She seemed out of it, as she explained, "Your brother has an evil heart, yet he saved me."

"But his intentions are-" Ping Hai was cut off.

"Forget it," Yi Ran put on a fortified smile. "I've long ago decided to follow Ah-Sha. He saved me, and I've decided to live for him. After all, there is finally something I yearn for." In the past, when she roamed on the streets, nobody cared for her.

Everyone knew that she was a homeless person, who steals and not beg. Yi Ran would fight with her fists, and get beaten back. Every single day, she had to sprawl. She didn't want to live a life where she was tired all the time. She didn't want to get hurt anymore. So when she saw Ping Sha that day, it was like the light had shone in her abyss-like heart.