Chapter Five

I stretch as my eyes start to flutter open, the sunlight hitting my face through the window. I reach my arms out, feeling the bed around me as my brain slowly wakes up and my limbs start to work.

But as my fingers skim over the soft material of something fluffy, my eyes spring open in terror. I look over to my hand to see the stuffed animal my grandmother had given me when I was a toddler laying beside me. 

I slowly move into a sitting position, my eyes scanning the room as they fill with tears. It was my bedroom. The same white curtains and yellow bed sheets. The same black bookshelf with all my books on display. 

I look over to my alarm clock to see that it's 10:00 am and I reach for my phone, still charging on my bedside table. I turn it on, looking at the date. It had only been one night. I had lived two days in a different reality in one night. 

I click onto snap chat, scrolling through all the people I don't feel like replying to and going straight to the group chat that consists of two girls that read the same books as me. These girls had become my family over the past months of knowing them.

Not having any friends in the small town you live in is a little lonely. So what do you do? You find your people online. Tik Tok was my way in. Some do Twitter or Youtube, but I was dragged into 'Booktok' and have never left since.

The Illiterates: 

Winnie: ok if it doesn't work tn I'm giving up. It's been months. 

Bev: U can't think like that W. It'll happen. Have faith <3

Lilly: You got this girl. only happy thoughts. Az if waiting for you!

Winnie: See you on the flip side. Night <3

*Last seen 11 hours ago*

I smile at my phone as I reread our conversation from last night. I had been ready to give up after months of trying, and it had actually happened. But how do I get back now? I start to type.

Winnie: Guys.. you'll never guess what tf happened last night.

Lilly: You had a wet dream of JJ from OBX? No? Just me? k

Bev: Lilly... I mean, no not just you but wtf lmao

I roll my eyes as I laugh. I don't think I'll ever be bored with these girls. Lilly was the crazy that Bev always had to keep in check. And I was the sarcastic, snarky one that was always sending drunk videos to the group chat.

Winnie: GUYS focus

Lilly: Right, sry. Go ahead Winnie who was in your wet dream?

Bev: Nice Lil

Winnie: I did it

Lilly: ... you did what? DID YOU LOSE YOUR V CARD?? I'm going to buy you a cake.

Bev: I swear if you had your first time with a random dude, Winnie, I'm gonna virtually kick you in the vagina.

Winnie: No! Oh my god! I shifted!

Lilly: What?! Before me? Fuck man, I thought I would be the first.

Bev: Wait STOP tell me EVERYTHING. Did you meet Azriel? Was Nesta a bitch? Was Elain there? Ew, I'm sorry if she was. 

The three of us spent the next hour texting about it, Bev and Lilly asking questions while I described everything in full detail. 

Winnie: I just hope I can get back. And stay longer...