Chapter 11 Newest Crew Member

Start from the beginning

"Yes, chief," Michelle said. He waved to the door.

"Now go on. I'm sure the others are waiting to celebrate."

"There she is! Looks like you made it out alive

"There she is! Looks like you made it out alive. I thought for sure the Chief would rattle you to pieces." Jett said, giving her a low five as she returned to the living room. Paige was lounging on the couch watching TV. Leslie was polishing a part contraption that looked like it came from the inside of a car. Reece sat on the floor in front of the couch absorbed in a PSP game. Brook smiled at her and came near.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Um... ask me again when I get a grip on reality."

"I get it. You just went from preppy college student to trail-blazing outlaw. Must be a lot to take in."

"The only trail she's ever blazed is probably a maze on the back of a cereal box," Paige said.

"Not true. Route Demy 12 has a scorched scar thanks to Michelle." Brook said. Jett looked at her with awe.

"Ho, ho! Looks like someone's a natural! But we're getting ahead of ourselves. We should throw a welcome party! I need a good reason to break out the party preps."

"Uh-huh. And where do you propose getting the food for your party? The nearest restaurant is two hours away." Paige said.

"Home-cooking, duh! I'll make sliders, Leslie's on chili fries, Brook can do the salad, I don't trust Payton with a knife, and you –"

"I am not lifting a finger to play chef for your little party. Call me when the food's done." Paige said, turning back to the TV.

"Pft. Fine. I'll do the pizza rolls too. Oh wait, before that, Michelle's gotta do the initiation tattoo tradition!" Jett said with excitement.

"Wait – what?!" Michelle asked, backing away in horror. Brook laughed at her expression.

"He's kidding Michelle. You're not getting a tattoo." He said. Michelle sighed in relief.

"Phew." Payton laughed humorlessly as he came out of the game room.

"She's afraid of a needle. How is she gonna face a dozen men who race like bloodhounds?" he asked. Paige got up and came to Michelle, laying her hands heavily on Michelle's shoulders.

"I'll toughen her up." Michelle laughed nervously.

"I appreciate the gesture but I'm already as tough as I can get."

"Cute," Paige said, a hint of a smile playing on her lips.

"So... what are we doing today? Any – missions?" Michelle asked. Jett wiped an imaginary laughter tear from his eye.

"That's hilarious. Who works on the weekends?" He said.

"Unless it's an emergency, we usually just bunk in for the weekends, getting on each other's nerves," Brook said.