Epilogue 2: Moments Not Spoken Of

Mare,

I dream of you.

The echo of cannon fire fades. I don't hear the collective breath of five hundred men, or the rustle of their canvas tents. The fires cease roaring. The wind in the trees falls silent.

I forget I am at war, and your face comes to me through the fog of time and distance. I hear your laugh. I feel your hand in mine; your breath against my ear...

We parted, allies, as always. And yet—I urged you to forget me. Do you remember? 

In my heart, I believed I was setting you free. I did not wish to bind you to my unknown fate. But the months have worn into years; you've never ceased to write me, to remember me. 

And the truth is that I would be incapable of releasing you to another, even if it was your wish. Thank God it is not.

For my heart is and has always been yours, and if I lose it here, trust it will return to you.

These nights, I dream of a future. Of great things. 

And more often than not, my mortal thoughts turn to moments not spoken of—not thought of. I wish you were here. Not with me in war, but with me, in the warmth of my arms. In the warmth of my bed.

I dream of you in every way. I should not, Mare. But I do. Endlessly.

Yours, always

Teddy