𝟎𝟑. 𝐜𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐡𝐲𝐝𝐫𝐚

𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑𝐘𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 had happened so fast. Steve had yet a moment to sit down and actually process the event that had played out before his eyes. He'd lost track of the time during the conference as he answered yet another series of questions asking along the lines of how the citizens of New York, and the world for that matter, could rest at night knowing that organizations like HYDRA were just waiting to strike.

It was poorly timed that the reporter's question was proven as fact at that very moment as every piece of technology in the surrounding area malfunctioned. Steve had reached for his comm, but quickly realized that he wouldn't be reaching his teammates via that method. He had tried to keep the crowd calm, but he'd been ushered from the stage as the local authorities arrived.

Even his attempts to return to the stage had been foiled. The stage manager had insisted that it'd be safer for him backstage, ironic since it was usually his job to ensure that civilians were the one kept in the safest environment.

Slowly, Steve crossed his arms. "Could I at least get an explanation?"

"Sorry, Captain Rogers," the stage manager apologized and again shook his head to prevent the super-soldier from walking back out toward the stage. "I think it'd be better if we waited for the authorities."

Steve raised an eyebrow, but didn't argue. He calmly took a seat, setting his shield up against the wall as he did. He'd realized that there was little he could do in the moment when he didn't understand the full extent of everything going on.

The door to the backstage building opened without a knock and a dozen armored officers rushed inside. Each had their weapon raised and trained on the soldier.

"Step away from the shield, sir," the police captain barked his instruction as he stepped forward, pulling a pair of handcuffs off his belt. "Anything you say or do from this point forward will affect your plea in court."

"Sorry?" Steve asked in confusion. "What's going on now?"

"You're under arrest for treason of the state and nation," the officer explained, taking yet another step forward.

"Treason?" Steve still didn't understand. He looked down the line of officers who remained tense in their stance, refusing to lower their weapons until certain the super-soldier wouldn't be a threat. Steve glanced over his shoulder at his shield resting along the wall, for a split-second, he considered grabbing it.

However, smoke flooded the room and impaired his sense of vision. Steve coughed as the smoke was so thick it was practically suffocating. A hand reached out through the smoke and grabbed his wrist before tugging him toward the exit.

As his vision was blurred, he was unable to deem whether the person beside him was a serious threat. He pulled his arm back in an attempt to free himself; however, he stopped as soon as he was dragged outside. The sun hit his eyes that blinded his already blurred vision.

"Stop fighting, Cap!" Sam demanded in a harsh whisper.

Steve relaxed hearing a familiar voice and stopped fighting. However, he groaned as he was shoved up against a brick wall. The change in light was again disorienting as he was forced into the shadows. He blinked a few times and his vision finally started to clear. He glanced down and noticed that Sam had placed a hand protectively across his chest to keep him from running out in the open. Now that he could see, Steve gently pushed the hand away. Sam looked over surprised, but relaxed as Steve gave him an appreciative nod.

"So what's going on?"

"Why don't you tell me," Sam suggested, then paused before adding, "Captain HYDRA."