Chapter Twenty: Cool as Ice

Start from the beginning

“I will pass along your interest to her clansman, captain.”

Randor gave a small smile before leaving with Odvin, Aiden closing the door firmly behind them.

Post a second guard on Lori’s door tonight. Eric communicated the message to Aiden silently, mindful that neither wolf would be able to hear the order.

I will guard the door myself, cousin, Aiden replied.

Good.

Do you think the old wolf sent the good captain to have us kill him?

The thought has crossed my mind.

Are you goin’ to do it then?

If he so much as breathes on Lori, I’ll send that wolf back in pieces.

Human females were a temptation most wolves were unable to resist. It was one of the leading causes of the wars between the two species. Entire villages had been raided; the men killed, while the women were carried off and forced to mate among the various wolf clans. Unfortunately, human females lacked the strength and savagery to survive such brutality. Death was assured and yet such casualties had not prevented wolves from decimating entire human populations time and time again. For some wolf clans sex and death went hand in hand. The Fenrir had been among the worst offenders, though much of that had to do with the rule of Lord Hovlik, the Bloody.

No one in the Fenrir had been alive to remember those days, but that did not mean their hunger for human females had abated over the centuries.    

“If you do, may I deliver the message myself, cousin?” Aiden asked aloud, knowing the wolves had officially moved out of hearing distance.  

Eric stared at him. “You barely escaped with your life last time you travelled to the Fenrir.”  

"Aye, but ‘tis a risk worth chancin’ for the possibility of consolin’ a grievin’ widow,” Aiden winked at his cousin.

"I thought it was Randor’s eldest daughters that landed you in the pens,” he said, referring to the cages the Fenrir used to imprison offenders of the law.

Aiden nodded, “Aye, them as well…twins were always my weakness.”

Both men shared a much needed laugh as they headed out to ensure everything was in order for an evening among wolves.

*           *           *

“Listen Lori, it’s important you don’t do anything stupid tonight. Those Fenrir are not nice wolves. Think Red Riding Hood, or the wolf that blows all those piggies houses down, or the one that makes off with the lamb kind of bad. These are the kind of wolves we’re talking about here, got it?”

“Yeah, I got it.” Lori felt the gooseflesh break out on her arms remembering the look on Captain Randor’s face when he talked about the last human he’d seen. Des didn't have to warn her twice, she'd seen the truth of it up close and personal.

“Good. Eric’s taking all the necessary precautions but seeing as how you can get into some deep shit no matter how big your boots are, I wanted us to be very clear on the matter. Don’t talk to any of them unless you absolutely have to, this is especially true of Randor. Don’t make overlong eye contact with any of them, as they might take that as a direct challenge.”