CHAPTER 28

I jumped up with a jolt. I was back in the 'happy garden'. Ember was leaning over me. "Taylor..."

"Ember?"

"Taylor's awake," she called out. Then she threw her arms around my neck and squeezed me so tightly I could hardly breathe. It was like I'd woken from a deep sleep and was still dazed.

"Emma..." I said.

"She's here, she's okay."

"And Brie?"

"The little girl? She's here too. Sayan's with her. She was heavily traumatized, but she'll be fine."

Then I remembered everything clearly – "Creed!"

"Who's Creed?"

"The operative with us in the Void."

"He's not here."

"No... I know. I gotta find him – gotta get to the lab. Warn them."

"About what?"

"Tell you later." I tried to teleport but I couldn't focus. I called Kat over. "You have to get me to the lab quickly."

He didn't ask questions – sensed my concern. He put a hand on my shoulder and we left the garden. A second later we materialized in the lab. Sorrell and Paul were there. They were tense and sighed with relief when they saw us.

"Thank god!" Sorrell said, "We thought we'd lost you. Creed came back alone – then left without explaining anything. He was acting real strange. What happened? Where's Emma?"

"Emma's fine. Where's Creed now?"

"Back in the physical somewhere. Probably with Colbert."

"We have to find him. I think I'm in danger – my family too. And maybe Emma's body too."

"Your family and your body are safe – I've had them moved to another location – secretly. Colbert doesn't know. They're still in Holland with Vicky and Ross. I thought it best – I don't trust Colbert, or Creed. When I saw him I knew there was something up."

"My family are safe – you sure."

"Yes. No-one can get to them, calm down. Tell us what happened."

I felt a calm wash over me. I told the story – skipped the journey, focussed on the part of finding Emma and what happened there. It was good that Kat was with us – he got to hear the story too, and his presence was healing me – raising my frequency again.

"So what do you think happened with Creed?"

"I think... whatever was controlling the girl in the Void moved into him. And now it's in the physical plane."

"Fuck!" said Paul. "He's possessed!"

Kat was shocked too. "I never thought this could happen," he said. I've always believed, always been told that the Durge cannot manifest outside the Void. How is this possible?"

"Mind!" I said dryly, serving his own wise words back to him. He nodded at me.

"But is he dangerous?" Paul asked. "I mean, more dangerous than he was before. Has he got powers now? Can he bring more demons into the physical?"

"I don't know what he's capable of," I said. "At the least, he could go completely psychotic – that's dangerous enough. And I don't know what his plans are – what Colbert's plans are."

"I can check on Emma's body in the physical," said Sorrell, "and see if there's any word or sign of either Colbert or Creed. Can you follow me into the physical?"