Chapter 1: The Big Day

OH MY GOD! It was the 21st of December. I had barely opened my eyes when my phone started buzzing. By lunchtime, I was exhausted from repeating the same words 'Thank you! ' again and again.

 My house was filled with the aroma of my favourite dishes and the living room looked divine. All decorations were of my favourite colour - Louis blue. Now, these were just the effects, the cause being- my sixteenth birthday!

Amidst all the enjoyment and chaos, I still felt an emptiness. It was my first birthday without my best friend. She had never missed any of my birthdays - yes, not even the first one, although she was just 9 months then! (But that's a different story)

Putting my best 'happy face' on, I continued with my day.

By 6:00 pm my house was filled with guests; mainly my friends. And my room was filled with presents. But my biggest gift was still missing. Before I could think about it anymore the sound of the doorbell caught my attention. "Who could it be? Everyone has already arrived."

Outside our front door stood a massive cardboard box, probably 6-feet high. The line ' HAPPY BIRTHDAY ' was painted on it with bold red ink. I took a step forward but before I could open the box -

BAM!!!

" HAPPY BIRTHDAY RADS!!!!!! YOU DIDN'T THINK I WOULD MISS YOUR BIRTHDAY - DID YOU??"

My eyes widened. In front of me stood my best friend, Srishti. She had flown 15 hours to come to India from Chicago, just to attend my birthday.

I was heartbroken when I got to know that they were moving to Chicago but Sri had promised to call every day(and she did!). But I never thought that she'd fly to India in the middle of her academic term to celebrate my birthday. I was in tears! 

"C'mon Rads don't start crying now. We have lots of things to do!" she said, jumping out of the gigantic cardboard box.

'Rads' - that's me. Although my name is Aradhya, Sri likes to call me 'Rads' because it sounds cool ( or at least that's what she thinks ). Without wasting any more time, we cut the flavoursome chocolate cake!

The rest of the evening I sat in my room with Sri, pouring out everything that happened while she was away. We clicked pictures and laughed our hearts out! I felt a little guilty for avoiding everyone else, but can you blame me?

Soon it was dinner time. My friends and I sat together around an enormous rectangular table. One by one the preparations started arriving. First came crispy baby corn followed by Fried Rice and chilli chicken. For desserts, we had rice pudding and black currant ice cream.

After dinner, we went to our living room and played truth and dare (let's not get into the details of the game) while the elders had dinner. The party lasted till 11:35 pm. Slowly our guests started to depart. Srishti also had to catch her flight. Our house was fully empty by midnight.

Although it was late at night, the fun was not yet over. I slipped out of my gown and changed into my nightsuit. It was time to open my presents!

I was just about to open the last one when I heard a knock at my door

I was just about to open the last one when I heard a knock at my door. I looked up to find mom and dad standing in front of me. The expression on their face was unidentifiable.

"We need to talk."

-------------------------------------------------

A/N:

Hi guys.

This chapter was probably very shitty. But bear with me guys. It gets better, I promise! What do you guys think happens next?

Please vote, comment and share my story.

Lots of Love,
Chase.