thirty four

thirty four

"He's not your son!" Michael yelled as Luke tried to get involved again.

"He's not yours either!" Luke raised his voice much louder than he ever has.

He was going to stand his ground on this one, he wasn't going to let Mike send Cy back to such an awful school.

Mike clenched his jaw, "I've practically raised him though the last year."

"And here he is telling you he's fucking sad and you aren't doing anything about it!" Luke was beyond upset at his fiancé, his hands were being thrown around, trying to make his words more powerful.

In reality, he just looked like an upset five year old (which was more cute than threatening).

"He needs proper schooling!" Mike slammed his fists down on the kitchen counter, finally looking at Luke from across the counter. His arms were shoulder length apart as his hands lay flat on the counter. His posture was bent and scary to the pregnant boy.

The blonde has never seen him like this, his pupils so dilated that the green was barely visible. His jaw was shut tightly, his cheekbones more prominent than usual. "I'm afraid he's going to kill himself if you send him back to that school!"

"Don't you dare say that, you don't know shit."

Luke rolled his eyes, turning his body and throwing his hands in the air once again. He turned back to Michael, not willing to give up the fight yet. He was doing this for Cy, Cy deserves this. "I know enough about him. I know enough about school. I know enough."

Neither of the screaming men noticed the fifteen-year-old at their kitchen table, cowering in fear with tears rolling down his face. Cyril, the one who has stayed so strong for so long, was crying.

"If he stays here every day he's going to become even more anti-social than he is right now! I can't have that! He has to take over the business! He has a life to live that involves being in the public eye! Do you realize how bad it will look if I send him to a non-traditional school?" Mike's shoulders were hunched, his pointer finger digging into the diamond-incrusted counter tops.

Luke had his mouth hung open, "I cannot believe you right now! All you care about is how it will look for you. You don't give a damn about his well-being! You just want him to take half of your stupid business!"

"That's not true!"

"That's exactly what you just said!" Luke screamed out, his pale skin red from all the yelling. He wiped at his eyes and took a deep breath before continuing, "If this is how you really are, then I don't want you in my life. I don't want you being the father to my child if you're going to drive it, too, into mental insanity."  He clutched his stomach instinctively, protecting it as if it could hear the yelling.

Michael took deep breaths, his entire body shifting with every inhale and exhale. He tilted his head down, licking over his dry lips.

Luke sat on the barstool, resting his head in the palm of his hands. His head was pounding and it wasn't from the baby.

Mike looked up, ready to finish the conversation like adults. His eyes wandered past Luke and to the teenager in the corner, "Cy," he breathed, "I—I didn't know you were in here. Go upstairs, Bud."

Luke's eyes widened, realizing he heard everything.

Cyril stood up, his lip quivering as all the tears he's held in came pouring down his face. His voice was raw, scratched with every word, "You take away everything! First my parents, and now Luke! You fucking monster!" His feet patted up the stairs, hiccups and sobs leaving the only sound in the house.

Michael turned around, punching the metal fridge as hard as he could. He yelled at nothing, pulling at the scalp of his hair. "I just want to be enough!" Michael screamed and cried, collapsing on the ground next to the cabinet. His hand was pounding, blood rising under the skin to create a swollen, purple bruise where his knuckles should have been.

This house was a mess. Luke never thought he'd actually want an out of a life like this. It seemed like a dream. The big house, the attractive boyfriend. It was everything Luke dreamt of. The nine-digit bank account, the family, the love he thought he had.

"I don't want Cy to make the mistakes I did," he whispered.

"I don't want to be with you anymore." Luke stood up, leaving the kitchen with running eyeliner.