"Hello." A slightly tipsy Liam plopped down beside Mary. Her black tight-ed legs shuffled out of the way to make room for the broad boy. "What's a nice girl like you doing here?"

     "All the cheerleaders have to be here. We planned it." She smiled slightly, "What about you?"

     "I'm trying to cut loose." Liam smirked. "Live dangerously."

     "Oh? so now I'm dangerous?" She laughed, "I suppose you mean the danger of Jason seeing us together?"

     "You.. uh."

     "I know that he told everyone we're together, yes." Her tone was short, but she didn't seem annoyed, she seemed only mildly amused. "God.. I hate that boy. I just hate him..."

     "Why don't you just reject him?"

     "Because he frightens me." She said her eyes widening slightly. "I try to stay away from all the football boys because of that. Most girls fancy the lot attractive, but I just see flashing red danger signs."

     "What about me?" Liam took another sip from his poorly disguised beer can. "Don't I scare you?"

     "You'd never do anything to me." She stated, and Liam's brows furrowed. "Jason likes me, but you.. you just don't want Jason to have me. You don't like me. That's why you're flirting with me here where Jason might see you instead of somewhere private."

     "I..."

     "It's alright though, you look about the right size to win a fight with Jason, and like I said you'd never do anything with me, so worst case scenario you get rid of my Jason problem." Mary let her head lean back against the wall, her blonde curls drooping over her cardigan covered shoulders.

     "How come you dress like that.. I mean, the way you do... I mean.." Liam stuttered, trying to change the subject.

    "Not like the other cheerleaders do?" Mary supplemented, looking down at her knee length dress.

   "Yeah."

    "How come you don't shower with the other boys after practice." Mary pursed her lips.

    "I.. how did you.."

    "How come you're so worried about Jason? How come you're always out flirting with girls in public, but never in private? How come any girl in the school would throw herself at your feet, but you've never taken one home?" Mary rattled out, holding direct eye contact with a shrinking Liam. "You and I are similar, I think. We just have different methods of shielding ourselves."

     Jason caught Liam talking with Mary a while later, and a giant fight broke out, resulting in them being dragged apart by teachers, and put on probation for the football team. Liam barely remembered any of it, he was quite drunk, but Liam could never forget the raw conversation he'd had with Mary, nor would he forget what Jason said to him in the main office.

     "Why are you so obsessed with me?" And Liam couldn't ever scratch the thing he did next from his memories.

     "How much do you want?" John asked him the next day at school.

    "I don't know, however much you can get." Liam shrugged. John's parents were pharmacists, and he had easy access to left over supplies. "I want this to look real." Liam insisted, as he embarked on the worst thing he'd ever do to another human being. Liam planned to fill Jason's gym locker with opioids.

     "Shit." Liam ran a hand through his blonde hair as he stared at the boxes of opioids John had brought to the park where they planned to meet. "What am I gonna do with all of this?"

     "Fill the crap out of his locker, then stash the rest." And that's exactly what Liam did. He hid the majority of the pill bottles in his room to dispose of later, then went into the gym, picked Jason's lock, and filled his locker with as many bottles as would fit. After that it was just a quick call to the coach to say he suspected someone had drugs in their locker, combined with a search that led to Jason being booted from the team, and suspended from the school.

     The next week Liam and Mary were dating, and they'd be together until they graduated from high school. But Liam never kissed Mary, nor did she ever kiss him. They had a dysfunction-ally functional relationship.

     Liam's actions had consequences though, Liam would learn one day when he arrived home. Liam shuffled up t his room wracked with guilt, and saw his mother lying on the floor surrounded by open pill bottles.

     "Mom?" Simon cried, walking into the room, after getting home from school moments behind Liam.

     "Call an ambulance!" Liam screamed.

    "But.."

    "Just go!" Liam cradled his mother's head trying to get her to wake up. His mother's overdoes was sadly just the beginning of the poor women's struggle with drugs. After time in the hospital she came back only to get hooked again. Liam's mother spiraled after that, having to go to a permanent rehabilitation center, but Liam never forgot the sight of his mother like that, nor did he ever forgive himself for what he'd done.

....

"Hey Mary.. it's been a while since we've talked, but I think we should try and get together soon. I think it'd be nice to catch up... Call me back when you get this."