Kit Ericsson

In accordance with his brothers wishes Simon avoided Asher the next day at school, so because Shea was still MIA he sat alone in the Lunch room. Simon noticed the sideways glances and the slight fear people looked at him with, but he never understood it. He didn't know what Asher knew, and if Asher had his way, he probably never would. Simon had a tendency to get lost in thought, so it was unsurprising when he didn't hear someone speaking to him.

"Hello?" The voice repeated, and Simon shot up.

"Oh. Hi." Simon responded. The voice belonged to a small red-headed boy Simon imagined was not much taller than he was. The boy sat down after a moment of silence.

"I'm Christopher, but my friends call me Kit. Well they would if I had any friends." Kit chuckled sheepishly.

"I'm Simon."

"Nice to meet you Simon. I have a feeling we're going to get along very well." Kit mused.

"Why do you figure?"

"Well. The way I see it - I don't have any friends, and clearly neither do you..." Kit's face paled. "Oh I'm sorry. That sounds awful."

"It's true." Simon smiled.

"Well then I guess neither one of us can afford to be very picky." Kit chuckled. "We have a few classes together, don't we?"

"I think so."

"It's weird. I feel like people avoid you." Kit's smile faded slightly.

"I feel like that too."

"Any idea why?" Kit asked.

"Nope."

"We're similar, you know that?" Kit had a small lunch which he opened as he spoke. "Sometimes I feel like people avoid me too. But I know the reason for that."

"Why's that?" Simon asked.

"Because my brother's Asher Ericsson, the school quarterback, and he scares the hell out o' everyone." Kit sat back in a thoughtful manner. "You know what?"

"What?"

"It's hard having such a high profile brother. It gives people really high expectations." Kit whined.

"My brother's Liam Matthews, so I feel that."

      "No way." Kit grinned, "We're like totally on the exact same wavelength!" Kit smile was infectious, and soon Simon was smiling too. They sat together for the rest of the period, and after throwing out their lunches, the two boys walked from the cafeteria together. On the way out Asher waved, then stopped and gave the pair a strange look.

     "Simon. Hey." Asher began.

     "Hello to you too." Kit shot.

     "Sorry. Hey Chris." Asher's face turned from a smirk to genuine. "Simon can I talk to you for a moment?"

     "Sure." Simon agreed, and Asher led him away towards the other end of the room.

     "Are you avoiding me?" Asher asked.

     "No." Simon lied.

     "Oh. Alright." Asher turned to leave, "I've got to take care of something, but I'll talk to you tomorrow, yeah?" Asher stated, and Simon nodded in response. Asher still made him a bit too nervous to talk, but thankfully Kit didn't have the same effect.

     "What was that about?" Kit asked.

     "I don't really know."

     "Are you guys friends?" Kit pressed.

     "I guess so." Simon responded, then felt a buzz in his pocket. He pulled out his phone to see a new message.

Liam: Who are you with?

     Simon rolled his eyes as he typed out a response.

Simon: Just a friend.

Liam: who?

Simon: My friend Kit.

Liam: ok good. Just making sure you're safe.

      Simon smirked at himself, happy to have satisfied his brother, even if he left out the ever important fact that Kit was Asher's brother, and he had been speaking with Asher just moments prior. As long as his brother didn't worry, he'd be fine.