I'm Fine

Simon and Kit sat together at a table in the cafeteria chatting about their plans for the rest of the day. It was full into winter and both boys were dressed in skinny jeans and sweaters, with Simon's being his only blue one, and Kit's being a sea foam green that brought out his eyes.

     "I told you Simon, skinny jeans aren't in anymore. You've got to get yourself a pair of joggers or chinos." Kit stated as he ate his lunch. He had a school lunch of spaghetti and meatballs.

     "You're wearing skinny jeans." Simon rolled his eyes. He was never one to be up on the trends, and was sure he would continue wearing skinny jeans, despite Kit's protests.

     "But I'm making a statement." Kit lips parted slightly, and he bit his bottom one in concentration. He had a plastic fork and spoon, and was attempting to twirl his pasta by placing the fork in the spoon and spinning it. The noodles kept falling off despite his best efforts, and eventually he gave up and set the spoon aside to eat it just with a fork.

     "So am I." Simon eyed Kit's actions suspiciously, but resolved to say nothing on the matter.

     "No you're not. You wore those yesterday, and the day before."

     "It's more of a continuous statement." Simon insisted.

     "Oh yeah? What's the statement?" Kit asked lazily.

     "I like skinny jeans." Simon smirked, earning an eye roll from Kit.

     "Look there's Asher." Kit pointed.

     "Oh." Simon shifted his gaze to Asher as he walked from the lunch line. He had a horrible scowl on his face, and he stared down freshmen until they darted out of the way. "So?"

     "You like him." Kit teased.

     "I do not." Simon stared into the distance. "You're the one who likes my brother."

     "I think your brother is hot. I didn't say I liked him." Kit stated. Asher  made his way towards their table. He paused for a moment, and his eyes flashed between Simon and Kit, then he took the seat next to Simon and sat down with a huff. Simon and Kit shared a confused look.

     "What's wrong, bro?" Kit asked. Asher looked up with a little glare.

     "Nothing."

     "Okay." Kit made a face that suggested he didn't believe him, but after years with Asher's temper knew better than to press his luck.

     "Where's Shea or Garrett? How come you aren't sitting with them?" Apparently Simon did not.

     "I don't want to talk about it."

     "It had to be something." Simon placed a comforting hand on Asher's arm, and Asher eyed it but said nothing. "Did Shea say something to you?"

      "It's nothing."

     "You're upset. It can't be nothing." Simon insisted.

     "I SAID IT'S NOTHING." Asher yelled out of nowhere, and the entire lunch room turned to look at the group. Simon raised an eyebrow then turned to face Kit, as if he hadn't heard Asher at all, or as if Asher wasn't even there. "Simon I'm sorry." Asher's face flushed red, and he grabbed at Simon's arm. "I didn't mean it, really."

     "It's fine." Simon said without looking at Asher. Kit looked strangely at the whole affair. He had never seen his brother apologize to anyone before. Not ever.

    "But you're mad." Asher insisted.

     "I'm not mad."

     "Simon." Asher called, trying to make his voice like honey. Simon turned to look. "I'm really sorry. I had a bad day, and I took it out on you, and that wasn't fair of me.

     "Apology accepted." Simon said emotionlessly and turned back to Kit. Asher slumped back in his chair, but his lip turned up slightly in a smirk, and his eyes had their usual twinkle back.

....

     "I SAID IT'S NOTHING." Shea heard Asher yell from across the lunch room, and broke out into a smile. Everything was going exactly as he wanted. At first he'd worried that Asher might hurt Simon if they were left alone, but now he felt justified, knowing that Asher would self-sabotage his way to failure before he ever even had the chance to hurt Simon, and that was exactly according to plan. Shea had a study hall with Simon during the last period, and though he wasn't going to tell Simon about what Asher wanted, he was going to talk to Simon alone for the the first time in a while.

     "Look, I'm a walrus." Shea turned to Garrett who had two straws stuck in the corners of his mouth and rolled his eyes. The two of them had begun sitting together after Asher had simultaneously dumped both of them, Shea was beginning to reconsider this move. He'd done it to leave Asher alone, but he was already pretty annoyed with Garrett. At Shea's reaction Asher let the straws fall from his mouth and looked at his plate in shame.

     "Sorry."