Part Two

The Williams' BBQ party went on for three whole hours. Their guest of honor, Miss Kara Curtsinger, was the life of the party. She told corny jokes that made Duane (Craig's father) laugh his head off by the BBQ grill, she performed magic tricks that astounded Jessica, she traded fashion tips with Nicole, and even Bernard couldn't stop feeding her attention – clearly crushing over her.

            Meanwhile, Craig couldn't get past how similar all these traits were to Neas (except for Bernard's goofy crush) when he last visited the Williams family. He was like the uncle and brother none of them knew they ever had, and none of Craig's family questioned where he came from. They only knew he was new to the block, which was the story he and Craig fabricated as a cover-up, and that he was in town to visit family.

            That family, of course, turned out to be the Williams themselves the entire time.

            As he looked on Kara, who was bathed in the late afternoon sun at the Williams' backyard, Craig's curiosity got the best of him

            As he looked on Kara, who was bathed in the late afternoon sun at the Williams' backyard, Craig's curiosity got the best of him. While Kara and Nicole were talking, Craig rushed up to them and blurted out, "Mom, can I show Miss Curtsinger my room?!"

            "Now, Craig," his mother disciplined, "what do we say when adults are talking?"

            Remembering his manners, Craig corrected himself accordingly. "Oops. Sorry. What I meant was...Excuse me, Mom. Can I please show Miss Curtsinger my room?"

            "Why you wanna show her your room?" Nicole questioned.

            "Because..." Craig struggled to think up a reasonable excuse.

            Thankfully, Kara – seeming to catch on with what Craig was doing – told Nicole, "It's O.K. In all the excitement over the last few hours, I barely had the chance to get a tour of your lovely home."

            The excuse she made up for Craig was so believable even he bought into it.

            "Alright," Nicole approved. "I guess Craig's room is the more interesting place to start, seeing how big of a mess he always leaves it in." Kara shared a giggle with her at Craig's expense. "Ya'll have fun. We'll be hanging back here 'til Duane has the meats all grilled up."

            Immediately, Craig took Kara by the hand and led her back into the house, not saying a single word along the short journey to his bedroom. Once they were there, Craig shut the door and briefly paced back and forth from his desk to the window. With his back towards Kara, he took a deep breath and finally asked, "Man, this is gonna feel so weird if it turns out you're not him. But every hint I spotted tells me that you are. So, if it really is you, could you just—?"

            When Craig turned to face Kara, he was suddenly enveloped in another one of her hugs. This one, however, felt much bigger, tighter, and warmer than the hug she gave him earlier by the front door. "It's me, lil' bro," she told him. "I'm back."