a corpse with a beating heart

"she as in- as in mom?"

"Correct," Erwin says his eyes staring at mine with a hint of sadness but why?

"Where is she? How do you know?" I take a few steps towards him cautiously, still afraid of the man in front of me.

"I know because she is here, I see her almost every day,"

"Wait what? And you couldn't even tell me?! I BLAMED MYSELF FOR HER DEATH ERWIN!" He stood up quickly and slammed his hands on the table making me flinch.

"Do not yell at me, and it is sir, not Erwin," I nodded and he took a deep breath sitting back down.

"We can go see her right now, but I warn you, section commander, she is not in a good state,"

"I want to see her, sir, please,"

"Alright then, let's go,"

"Now? Its almost midnight, mother liked sleeping early,"

"Now. She won't be asleep I assure you, but I am not sure if she will talk either," he said and I nodded very, skeptical about what he was saying. I was extremely confused, not to mention I have not seen my mother in years and he hid her from me all this time.

***
I trailed behind Erwin as we descended through the stairs, to the dungeons. I was scared and confused, why would my mother be in the dungeons? But I didn't dare to say a word, I feared the man I followed.

"Okay, she is behind this door... I am sorry,"

When I walked in my eyes watered instantly, the woman that raised me, protected me, braided my hair, and gave me forehead kisses was chained up, you could see her bones and she had scars everywhere.

"Mom?" I choked out and her head tilted upwards slightly before dropping back down.

"What happened to her Erwin? What did you do?" I asked quietly, approaching my mother.

"What did I do? Do you think I did this? She is like you, a shifter. And she proved no use, so they keep her here. I am showing you this because you will be in the same situation if you don't prove yourself worthy,"

I nodded as I caressed my mother's cheek gently, I got no reaction from her, no emotion.

"I love you, mom," I said as tears left my eyes.

***
Day 2/7

It was mostly dark, the only light was the sun from above me. I was inside the well and it smelled horrible.

"You good down there, my titan?" Hange yelled from above making my face red.

"Y-yeah,"

"Okay, then when you see the flare take the knife and cut yourself, not too deep my dear. Just a scratch, okay?"

"Yeah, I got it,"

"Be careful! Hange yelled before disappearing from my sight

I waited for a few minutes until I saw the smoke signal above me, I grabbed the knife on my hand before lightly scratching my arm. I dropped the knife wincing, waiting for something, but nothing happened.

"Fuck," I muttered picking up the knife and scratching myself again, I brace for impact, and yet again nothing change, the only thing different were the scratches on my arms.

Maybe I have to go deeper? I shut my eyes tightly and held the knife even tighter, "you got this come on (Y/N), for Hange," I whispered as I pushed the knife into my leg deeply.

***

The next thing I remember is the feeling of the sun against my face, the grass beneath me, I definitely wasn't on the well. Then I saw a decomposing titan next to me, was that, me? It was huge, similar to the female titan but with (e/c) eyes. I didn't get enough time to examine it before it decomposed and I saw Hange running to me leaving the dust of my titan body behind.

"(Y/N)!" They yelled with a worried expression Levi and Erwin trailing behind them.

"What the fuck was that Smith!" Levi yelled and Erwin's expression was neutral.

"YOU ALMOST KILLED US!" The short boy screamed.

"I-I don't remember anything,"

"Great, there goes your life,"

"HEY! Don't say that!" Hange yelled getting closer to me and extending their hand so that I could get up. As soon as I was up they embrace me, my eyes went wide and Erwin's neutral expression became angered. He has never liked the idea of me and Hange.

"It will be fine, okay? We will figure it out and you will prove yourself worthy because you are,"

I squeezed them tighter before pulling away and my eyes linked with those sincere brown ones, their hands made their way to my hair, ruffling it slightly.

***

"(Y/N)?" Hange asked as she entered my temporary room.

"Hange,"

"I just finished analyzing your blood, I compared it to Eren's but they are different, too different,"

I nodded urging them to continue.

"Yours has this weird substance that I can't seem to name, it's a gold color,"

"Any theories on it?" I ask softly and they nodded their head.

"A few, most are far-fetched," they walked towards me sitting next to me on the edge of my bed.

"How are you feeling," they asked gently as they reached for my hand and grabbed it with their own.

"A little scared,"

"Mmm, understandable, there is a lot we don't know. But I am sure we will help you control your titan body soon enough," they said squeezing my hand.

"Not about that," I said almost a whisper.

"Then what is scaring you, dear?" Hange questioned, sincerity laced in their words.

"Erwin, something is off, he was acting weird today and yesterday. And then seeing my mom like that, do you think it's possible that Erwin did that to her? To me?" I asked softly and I finally turned to look at them, those wide hazel eyes staring at me intently made me shiver.

"That's a possibility I have been thinking off," they whispered.

"Can we talk about something else?" I urged them. They had a thoughtful expression before they smirked.

"So... you and Levi?" They said teasingly and my heart dropped at the thought of them picturing me with someone else.

"Oh, No, not at all, no, God Hange, no," I said quickly and they laughed gently.

"Come one (Y/N)! We are best friends- you are supposed to tell me who you like!"

Best friends, right, my heart dropped but I managed to muster a smile.

"It's not Levi," I whispered

"Uuuuuu so there is someone!" They said loudly smiling brightly.

"who's the lucky guy?" Oh my, I thought, would they hate me if they knew I liked girls? It's now or never I guess.

"It's- uh- it's not a guy," I said and when they didn't respond and their mouth went wide, I felt my eyes became watery and my hands start to tremble.

"Hey, hey, it's okay! I don't mind, dear! Not one bit!" They cooed placing their hands on my cheeks and wiping a few stray tears.

"I was just surprised, that's all,"

"You don't hate me?" I asked them barely above a whisper as their fingers played with mine.

"I could never hate you! And that would be unfair considering I like girls too," they whispered and for a split second their eyes darted to my lips but they quickly came back up linking with mine.

I giggled at their shyness, I had never seen Hange like this. Though now that I think about it she is different when she is around me. They act differently around other people. This made me smile, the thought of me being special to them.

"Can you stay the night?" I asked my voice quivering.

"Of course my dear," they replied giving my hand one last squeeze.