you get sick in the middle of the night

Florence's eyes slowly began to open as you shook her awake as groans and her name repeatedly fell from your lips.

She opened her eyes before squeezing them shut once more when she saw that the room was bright from the lamp being turned on.

"Florence? Are you awake?" You mumbled and she just hummed in response.

Honestly, she didn't think too much of why you were waking her up. She was still half-asleep, still feeling exhausted from her busy day. So she didn't open her eyes, thinking you just needed some cuddles or had a bad dream.

"Florence, please. I feel sick."

As soon as the words fell from your lips, her eyes opened wide. She sat up and she was instantly taken aback when she noticed how miserable you looked.

"Oh, baby. Let me feel your forehead." She mumbled as she worriedly stared into your tired eyes and placed the back of her hand onto your clammy skin. "You've got a fever. I'm going to get you some medicine."

You stopped her from getting up by wrapping your fingers around hers.

"Don't go. I'm going to be sick. I need you to stay with me."

She nodded and rubbed your back before looking over to the bathroom.

"Think you can make it to the bathroom in time?"

You shrugged your shoulders as sweat rolled down your skin and your stomach continued to turn and ache almost unbearably.

"I'll help you." She said and got up to walk to your side, hoping she could take your hand and put her arm around your waist to guide you to the bathroom before you threw up everywhere.

But you felt too sick. You tried to fight the need to be sick a few times already, thinking if you just tried to sleep or didn't move you'd be okay. You only woke Florence up when it became too overwhelming and sank in that you weren't going to be able to fight it.

And now, your mouth was watering and your hands were shaking, just like your knees. You couldn't even try to stand, you just shook your head, wordlessly telling your girlfriend that there wasn't a chance that you'd get to the bathroom before you'd get sick.

Thankfully, the trash can by your side of the bed was empty. Florence reached for it and put it under your chin just as your stomach turned for the last time before you started to get sick.

Florence immediately tried to comfort you. She rubbed your back soothingly and made sure that your hair was out of the way, so you couldn't get sick into it.

Thankfully, it was only a couple of minutes of torture before you stopped and your stomach started to calm down.

"You okay?" Florence asked as she brushed her hand along your hot and damp cheek, due to the fever and sweat on your skin.

You nodded as she moved the trash can out of the way. But you felt tears sting your eyes as a rush of embarrassment washed over you.

"Sorry about that." You mumbled, only for Florence to shake her head and rub your shoulders soothingly.

"Don't be. It happens." She whispered and then kissed your temple lingeringly. "You're burning up and I bet you're uncomfortable from sweating so much. How about we take a shower together? I know you're feeling weak, so I'll hold you the whole time. Okay?"

The thought of a nice cool shower sounded so good right now since you felt so hot and in desperate need of a little relief.

So you agreed.

"Okay. I'm going to turn the water on and grab our things. You catch your breath for a minute."

She walked out of the room and into the bathroom, where she turned on the water. She ran her hand under it and let the water fall against her fingertips as she used her other hand to turn the knobs so she could find the perfect setting so it wasn't hot or cold.

Once it was perfect, just cool enough, she returned to the bedroom. She grabbed you both some clean clothes, making sure her favorite shirt was included before she put them in there, and then came to your side to help you stand.

She gave you a sweet kiss on the cheek as she put her arm around your waist and guided you into the bathroom. She took off her clothes and then yours before she got under the water with you.

It felt so relieving as the cool water fell onto your skin. You felt yourself starting to cool down, that icky and clammy feeling disappearing as you basked in the comfort of the cool water.

"Good?" Florence whispered into your ear, kissing right beside it as she gently scratched your back, bringing you even more relief.

"Yeah, very. Thank you."

"No problem. How about I wash your hair for you?" She offered with a bright smile, obviously more than happy to take care of you.

You closed your eyes as she scratched your head lightly, making a hum of contentment fall from your lips.

It was a much better sound than the whimpers and groans that she heard before when you felt so sick.

"Are you feeling any better?"

"So much better. My stomach doesn't hurt and I don't feel like I'm going to vomit anymore. Thank you for helping me and for taking care of me." You said as she finished washing your hair, putting your forehead onto her shoulder.

"I'd do anything for you. I'm happy to take care of you." She said and grabbed a cloth to pour some shower gel on it.

She brushed it along your skin; from your shoulders to your arms, then to your back and hips, then to your thighs and along your feet.

She kissed your shoulders as she rinsed them off.

She quickly washed her hair and body before she turned off the water.

"You look so sleepy. Let's go to bed."

She helped you step out of the shower before helping you dry off. She got dressed before helping you into the clean clothes.

You smiled a little when you realized the shirt she grabbed for you was hers. Her smell filled your lungs; both from her shirt that you were wearing as well as her neck, where you buried your face to breathe in the comforting scent.

She knew you were too weak and tired to brush your teeth, so she didn't even ask. Instead, she guided you to bed and tucked you in with a kiss on your head.

"Can I have some water?"

"Of course. I'll go get you some." She smiled and walked out of the room, returning a moment later with a glass of cold water for you to sip on.

She held the glass for you since your hands were still shaky. When you finished, she set it on the table and made sure you weren't too hot or cold under the sheets before she cleaned out the trash can and put it back down beside your bed; just in case.

She climbed into bed and she couldn't keep herself from smiling when she noticed that you were already asleep.

She didn't want to wake you, so she laid close to you and stroked your cheek as she watched you sleep and listened to your breathing.

"I hope you feel better soon, my love." She whispered after she kissed your temple lovingly. "Either way, no matter how long it takes until you get better, I'll be right here with you. I won't leave your side, I swear. I love you lots. Sleep tight."

She put her head on yours and let your soft breaths help her drift off to sleep next to you, hoping that the next time she'd open her eyes, you'd be feeling even better.