Chapter 21 - The Escape Plan

Start from the beginning

We had rode past a couple of small towns and farms, and were approaching a more deserted area. It was beautiful. There were lavendar pastures as well as rows of tulips. 

"Where is this place?" I asked in awe.

"My secret hideout. I ride out here when I want to get away for awhile." Benjamin said contentedly.

"Thank you for bringing me here. I needed this."

We rode in silence for a couple of minutes before Benjamin asked, "Are you happy, Ara?"

"What do you mean?"

"Are you happy in the castle?" He asked, turning to look me in the eye.

"Sometimes," 

He didn't say anything about my response, instead he dismounted and motioned me to do the same. He brought the two horses off the road and into the pasture of lush green grass where he let them rest.

Then he walked over to me, taking me by the hand. I felt guilty for even holding his hand, but I didn't shrug him off and followed him silently instead. The green pasture rolled out into another field of big, tall sunflowers. It was beautiful. I've never seen a sunflower field before, only pictures of them. We don't have any sunflowers near Black Crescent. 

Benjamin led me through the rows of sunflowers cautiously, brushing away any branches of leaves that came in the way. His hand was large but soft, his skin felt like velvet. 

"Where are we going Benjamin?" 

He didn't respond. 

"Benjamin?" I asked curiously, wondering if he had not heard me.

He turned around adruptly, still holding my hand. His eyes were a wild shade of blue, the colour of great oceans my father had shown me. His usual "i could care less" expression was replaced with that of an intensity of storms. I had never regarded Benjamin as threatening, but right now his eyes looked dangerous as though he was running away, or after something. 

"Are you alright?" I asked him softly, looking around to see what he was so alarmed about.

He opened his mouth to speak, hesistating a moment before he spoke. 

"Ara, do you want to run away with me?"

__________________________________________________________________

Benjamin's POV 

I still remember the day I found this sunflower field, like golden treasure in the middle of nothing. I told myself I'd never share it with anyone, vampires and humans alike destroy anything beautiful they stumble upon. I wanted to keep this field my secret, until I had the right one to show it to.

I knew she wasn't happy in the castle. I could see it. I'm sure anyone could. Her eyes are always glued to the floor, her expression deadpan. She tries to smile when she is around me, but her forced smile does not fool me. Nathaniel is like my brother, and a very dear friend, but I will not stand for how he treats Ara.

Especially when I am in love with her.

I tried to keep my distance, but the more I wait, the more broken she seems. I am afraid she will do something foolish, she is suffocating from being in the castle.

I wish I could tell her, how much she really means to me. I want to let her know how much I care, how her happiness has become mine. How can I bear seeing her getting hurt by him anymore? I know Nathaniel would kill me if he knew my feelings for her, even if we are cousins. He might seem careless, but he is an obsessive and possessive man. That is how he became the most powerful King in all of vampire history. The tension between us has been building up from the day he came back from France, he would have suspected by now. I know Xavier has been observing my actions when I am with Ara, that's why I had to bring her out of the castle.

I lead her into the sunflower fields, she looks amazed, almost enchanted. And her expression almost brings me to my knees. Her eyes are sparkling under the sunlight, her mouth slightly ajar, gasping at the magnificent beauty of the flowers. I am tempted to hold her in my arms, and kiss her right here.

"Benjamin?" She calls out to me.

I turn to look at her, her face is lined with worry. She does not know the little things she do that makes me so god damned in love with her. I cannot help but fall deeper everytime I am with her.

I don't know what comes across me, a thought flashes into my brain like lightning and I can't stop the words from coming out. "Ara, would you run away with me?"

She stays perfectly still for a minute, taking time to digest the thought I suppose. She does this often, whether or not she realises it. Her mind seems to wander off to far places, but I wait for her to come back.

"What?" She manages to stutter out.

"I'll take care of you, I want to. We could run away from all of this, isn't this just what you want?"

A guilty expression lingers in her face, I know she wants to leave. Who wouldn't?

"I love you, Ara." I finally confess. My heart goes into overdrive, thumping like a hammer in my chest. Her expression changes from guilt to pure shock, she opens her mouth and shuts it then opens it again. I am nervous at what she is about to say next, my adrenaline from pure fear is kicking in and my heart is racing like a bullet train.

"You... love me? But you can't Benjamin. You don't understand..."

"I love you. I've never felt the same way about any of the other girls, not even a fraction of how I feel about you. You drive me crazy, I can't stop thinking about you."

"No... This is wrong Benjamin... I'm sorry...." She says, "I'm sorry..."

It feels like someone grabbed my heart and squeezed it, crushing it like a can. The adrenaline dies down, leaving me feeling bruised and lifeless.

She reaches her hand to my cheek, her body leans in for a hug. I grab her close to me, and she gasps slightly at the impact of our bodies colliding. I hug her tight, my chin resting on her shoulder, my face buried in her soft hair. I never wanted to let her go, it was as if the only reason why I was still standing is because I was holding her.

But slowly, she pulled away. And reluctantly, I let her.

The ride back was silent. I called for a car to chaffeur us back to the castle instead as it was getting dark. Nathaniel stood by the doors of the castle, expecting our return. I was guessing he wasn't too happy about me bringing her out. 

Nathaniel walked towards the car as soon as it came to a stop, helping Ara out. "Goodnight Ara," I said as she exited. She gave me a small smile in return.

Nathaniel bent down until he was level with the car window, "Have a goodnight, Benjamin." It was friendly words, but his tone was dark, delivering it almost as a warning.

_____________________________________________________________________

A long update for you guys!!! Hope you liked this one!!! 

Who's team Benjamin???

Don't forget to comment and vote! <3 Thank you all for reading and for your sweet comments and messages (which I am going to reply now!!!)